different bup versions on client and server

Marcus Schopen

Nov 15, 2021, 5:30:57 PM11/15/21
to bup-list
Hi,

on client side (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) I have to us bup 0.32, on server side
an older version 0.29. Will those different versions work together?

Cheer
Marcus

--
Marcus Schopen
Luisenstr. 1

Matrix: https://matrix.to/#/@mschopen:uni-bielefeld.de

Rob Browning

Nov 15, 2021, 9:17:45 PM11/15/21
to Marcus Schopen, bup-list
Marcus Schopen <li...@localguru.de> writes:

> on client side (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) I have to us bup 0.32, on server side
> an older version 0.29. Will those different versions work together?

I suspect they might, but we don't promise/test that right now, so I'd
recommend using the same version on both sides if you can.

If it helps, bup should run just fine from a built source tree, and
happy to assist in getting that working if it's useful.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org

Johannes Berg

Nov 16, 2021, 3:44:22 AM11/16/21
to Rob Browning, Marcus Schopen, bup-list
On Mon, 2021-11-15 at 20:17 -0600, Rob Browning wrote:
> Marcus Schopen <li...@localguru.de> writes:
>
> > on client side (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) I have to us bup 0.32, on server side
> > an older version 0.29. Will those different versions work together?
>
> I suspect they might, but we don't promise/test that right now, so I'd
> recommend using the same version on both sides if you can.

FWIW, I often run different versions on client/server, and all the work
I've done (and seen) on the protocol recently should leave that working.

However, yes, it's not (otherwise) tested -- I'd think mostly because
it's hard to, as that requires actually using two versions, not just the
current checkout you have to test.

johannes

Marcus Schopen

Nov 17, 2021, 10:44:05 AM11/17/21
to Johannes Berg, Rob Browning, bup-list
Thanks a lot. I think, I'll use rsync to get the files from client to
server and then put the rsync'ed files to bup. It's some waste of space
on the backup server but this seems the best way to me if you can't
work with same versions on client and server.

Cheers
Marcus

Johannes Berg

Nov 17, 2021, 11:03:12 AM11/17/21
to Marcus Schopen, Rob Browning, bup-list
Given the simplicity and stability of the client/server protocol (it's
just pushing objects across, and then a ref update when the save
(commit) is done), I tend to trust that it works alright with different
versions, but of course what you're suggesting is possible too :)

johannes

Marcus Schopen

Nov 18, 2021, 5:21:01 AM11/18/21
to Johannes Berg, Rob Browning, bup-list
Yes, I use bup for years in client server setup to save qcow2 images up
to 100 GB. I can test it with different versions first.

Cheers
Marcus