progress, and a new issue

Daniel Wellner

Jun 25, 2008, 10:53:27 AM6/25/08
to bumbleb...@googlegroups.com

Hi again Daniel

Thank you for your fast reply.

First of all, I have to say this:
I really love the effect that thinking about the user manual before writing any code or tests has.
It puts your mind in a whole different mode, makes it easier to see what needs to be tested,
much in the same way that TDD helps you to see what needs to be coded.

FYI: I got Bumblebee integrated now into dtangler's CI. dtangler's CI results are publicly available
(www.dtangler.org/builds) so if you like you can see our bumblebee documentation grow over
time. The first rev that uses BB is 13402:
http://www.dtangler.org/builds/dtangler-r13402_OK/release/documentation/documentation.html
It is still very small and uses only static comments, but it is a start :)
Soon I will start with the screen shots.

There is still tons of things to be done, but I'll hope to have the real oficial documentation
on the website in a few weeks.

I also found a new issue (still using version 0.5):
Using the 'configuration.target_file' will change the location of the target file, but, the
stylesheet that is generated by default, is still going into the target/site folder. If this
folder does not exist, the test will fail.

I don't fully understand the stylesheet handling and usage in BB, so I think it might be a
good idea to add more info about that to BB's own documentation as well...

- DanielW

Daniel

Jun 25, 2008, 12:06:53 PM6/25/08
to Bumblebee Tool
Hi,

Cool! Already approx two pages! I'll link it in.

It's always a pleasure to see other peoples documentation, to see how
they think and use the tool. :-)

It is funny to hear you have exactly the same experience that I had
when starting with "UGDD" (user guide driven development)
I thought it was a good idea, but as when I started with TDD, I
couldn't foresee the effect it would have on me.
It will be interesting to hear how your experience evolves over time;
please keep me posted.

Stylesheets are not handled very well at the moment, I'm sorry about
that. I should probably define a target dir instead, and put
everything in there, and of course try to explain it a bit better.
Just like with TDD, UGDD can take you some of the way, but you always
need to face reality before finding all bugs/things that needs a bit
more explanation... ;-)

If you get into trouble, Bumblebee can be used to run arbitrary
command line commands to patch the process; just add something like
this in the comment:

#{exec 'cp some_file.css new_location'}

A bit naughty, but quite handy every now and then :-)

Cheers
Daniel

On Jun 25, 4:53 pm, "Daniel Wellner" <daniel.well...@sysart.fi> wrote:
> Hi again Daniel
>
> Thank you for your fast reply.
>
> First of all, I have to say this:
> I really love the effect that thinking about the user manual before writing any code or tests has.
> It puts your mind in a whole different mode, makes it easier to see what needs to be tested,
> much in the same way that TDD helps you to see what needs to be coded.
>
> FYI: I got Bumblebee integrated now into dtangler's CI. dtangler's CI results are publicly available
> (www.dtangler.org/builds) so if you like you can see our bumblebee documentation grow over
> time. The first rev that uses BB is 13402:http://www.dtangler.org/builds/dtangler-r13402_OK/release/documentati...

Daniel

Jun 25, 2008, 12:11:38 PM6/25/08
to Bumblebee Tool
> If you get into trouble, Bumblebee can be used to run arbitrary
> command line commands to patch the process; just add something like
> this in the comment:
>
> #{exec 'cp some_file.css new_location'}

Of course, this was just an example. In your case it wouldn't have
worked since the build crasched... :-P