weight on pistol

JOSEPH NOVAK

Dec 24, 2023, 11:35:32 PM12/24/23
to Bullseye-L
     Perhaps I should have mentioned the model of pistol I just bought that wobbles so easily. My usual pistol for the 900 match is a S&W Model 41. But I have been getting too many alibis from that pistol. So I put out $1,450 and purchased a Volquartsen Black Mamba with 6" barrel. If you have never seen one of these, you will not know what I am talking about. It is super light weight! From a rest, it puts all 5 shots in the X ring. Not the 10 ring, but the X ring, at 25 yards, so the pistol itself is very accurate. Without ammo in it, it weighs 1 lb. 15 oz.! It just moves all around when aiming at 50 yards. My scores went 'way down! I taped a weight to it and will try my theory this coming Saturday at our 900 match. If you are interested, I will relay the results to you. I have never felt such a seemingly large looking pistol that was so light in my lifetime.  --  Joe  --

jrba...@fuse.net

Dec 25, 2023, 8:43:30 AM12/25/23
to Bullseye L list
If your Mdl41 alibis are a failure to fire because of a light hit that is caused by a dirty chamber. Take the barrel off of the receiver and holding the barrel vertical drop a round into the chamber. If it does not fully seat in the chamber with a "clunk" the chamber has a buildup. To clean this buildup out use a brass bore brush larger than .22 on a rod in you hand drill or drill press and scrub the chamber until a round will drop freely fully into the chamber. I learned this fix several years ago at the Regional Match at Canton-McKinley from a gunsmith Jackie Best after several misfire alibis.