Does your printer require a special FlexPlate System? Check here first.

BuildTak

Dec 12, 2016, 5:01:07 PM12/12/16
to BuildTak
For some printer models we have designed special FlexPlates to avoid incompatibilities with those machines.  For this reason it is very important that you let us know your printer type in the order comments section so we can make sure you get the right FlexPlate the first time.  So far there are two models which have a model-specific FlexPlate:

Printrbot Simple Metal - Order a 6.5 x 6.5" FlexPlate System and mention in the comments section that it is for a Printrbot Simple Metal.  The magnetic mounting base matches the machine's printable area of 6.5 x 6.5" but the FlexPlate is 6.5 x 8.0".  This is because of the auto-leveling sensor.  See explanation video here: https://youtu.be/f99q17nHc_A

MakerGear M2 - Order an 8 x 10" FlexPlate System and mention in the comments section that it is for a MakerGear M2.  The corner clips at the edge of the M2's build platform required us to chamfer the corners of the 8 x 10" FlexPlate so that it would not overlap the clips.

If and when we discover that more printer models require special FlexPlate System modifications, they will be posted here.

BuildTak

Dec 16, 2016, 4:10:28 PM12/16/16
to buil...@googlegroups.com
BQ Witbox - You may need to print and install a small shim for the z-endstop.  The FlexPlate System adds about 3mm to your bed height; You'll need to compensate for this extra height by installing this shim, which adds 3mm of material to the area of the build plate frame which contacts the z-axis end stop. Without this shim, you may find that you cannot tighten your leveling screws enough to keep your nozzle from hitting the bed.
Order a standard 8.5 x 12" FlexPlate System.  While you wait for your order, print the z-endstop shim from the file below and review the installation instructions:

BuildTak

Jan 30, 2017, 12:28:21 PM1/30/17
to BuildTak
MakerBot Replicator 2X - The FlexPlate System adds about 3.2mm of extra material to the bed. If you're tightening your leveling screws all the way and find that you still can't get any clearance between the nozzle and bed, you may need to lower the z-endstop slightly.  (The z-endstop looks like a small rectangular computer chip with a metal clip.  When the bed rises up to its highest position, it knows to stop rising once it contacts this z-endstop switch.)

First, unplug the power cord and remove the backing from the Replicator 2X (see photos).  The filament guide tubes and cables pop out easily and can be moved aside.  Then, loosen the screws on the z-endstop and slide it down to a lower position - roughly 3.2mm lower, although you can adjust the bed leveling screws later to get the nozzle height just right.  (We have our z-endstop moved all the way down, as you can see in the photo.)  Once your z-endstop is in the desired position, tighten the screws.  (Make sure the z-endstop is securely fastened, as a loose z-endstop could cause the bed to rise too far.)  Run the bed leveling routine and adjust your bed leveling screws until you're getting light resistance when sliding a piece of standard copy paper between the bed and the nozzle.  That's it - you're all set!  If you run into any trouble with this process we can absolutely help walk you through it - just email us at in...@buildtak.com.

Gauner

Jul 15, 2019, 6:00:14 AM7/15/19
to BuildTak
Hey, we have a "homemade" 3d-Printer (Kossel Mini Type) and would need a round flexplate ⌀203mm. Is this already available or can it be taken into account to make one?

BuildTak

Jul 15, 2019, 11:57:10 AM7/15/19
to BuildTak
Unfortunately we don't make a 203 diameter size FlexPlate System.  We do offer the option of having customized FlexPlate Systems made but this is reserved for 3d printer manufacturers. This requires minimum order quantities and an initial tooling charge that can be prohibitively expensive for the typical 3d printing hobbyist. If you’re involved in any forums or user groups for your printer, the best option would be to encourage its members to reach out to us with requests for this size. If we get enough requests we put a new size into production.

Gauner

Jul 17, 2019, 1:46:51 AM7/17/19
to BuildTak
Ok, thanks for the reply. I'll see...

Cristiano Gariboldo

May 19, 2020, 5:58:28 AM5/19/20
to BuildTak
Hello, I'm Cristiano from EL.SO.MEC. srls Italy.

We're building an high dimensions printer with 1200 x 800 x 900 mm build volume, heated chamber.

We're super interested in a BuildTak solution for our newborn machines.

Can we get in touch?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Best Regards.

BuildTak