Need help with prusa i3 MK2 install of Flex Plate System

Jackie Tan

Oct 10, 2020, 7:39:14 PM10/10/20
to BuildTak
Hello,
I read in the forum that there would be no issue installing a Flex Plate System on an i3 MK2 and that the PINDA would detect the surface of the sheet.

Well, now I have the system installed and I received an error message during calibration: "XYZ calibration failed. Please consult manual."

Prusa doesn't offer any tips for after-market build plate mods. I'm hoping you have a resource. I searched Prusa in the Build Tak forum and didn't come up with anything.

Do you have tips so I can get up and running again? It took me 18 months to get up the courage to install your product. Now I'm a bit unhappy.

Thank you,
Jackie

Wirlybird

Oct 10, 2020, 7:43:01 PM10/10/20
to BuildTak
See if you can log into the Prusa forums and ask there.  Someone has probably tried it.  I haven't on my MK2 but I'm sure someone may have an idea.

Rick Pietrykowski

Oct 10, 2020, 10:26:31 PM10/10/20
to BuildTak
I don’t know the capabilities of your printer, but based upon my personal experience with the Buildtak system on my FlashForge Guider IIs, I would guess that you aren’t having issues with the Z axis due to the extra thickness of the build surface. On the FlashForge I had difficulty getting the Extruder to calibrate and worse issues with the bed leveling, ‘cause the leveling screws were as far as they could go. I ended up shortening the springs under the bed to gain more range for leveling.

So, try to calibrate the Z offset for the extruder ... again, I don’t know how that is done on your machine, sorry ‘bout that.
Hopefully, you won’t have range of movement issues with bed leveling. If so, consider shortening the springs under the bed.

good luck!

Jackie Tan

Oct 10, 2020, 11:22:59 PM10/10/20
to BuildTak
Thank you for your tips. I'm familiar with the Flashforge Finder (I have 8 in my classroom). The leveling system sounds the same as your FF Guider IIs.

After some thinking, I figured it out.

The XYZ calibration on a Prusa MK2 looks for 2 specific targets on the build plate to ascertain that the kit was assembled correctly and that the print bed is set up properly. I had run the XYZ calibration moments before installing the Build Tak.  That's a good thing because those 2 targets can't be "seen" when the Build Tak base is in place.

This means, I only needed to run the Z-calibration and then fine tune the first layer calibration. After getting the PINDA the correct height above the nozzle (.5mm-1mm), these two steps were a breeze.

First print went great. I'm off and running again.
Jackie

BuildTak

Oct 12, 2020, 9:07:58 AM10/12/20
to BuildTak
Hi Jackie,

Thank you for your interest in BuildTak!

The Prusa MK2 requires pre-calibration, we recommend following Joel Telling’s video on how to install: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2khw2tAuCM&feature=youtu.be

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

Regards,
Dave