Finding that the magnetic plate is not very flat.

Wirlybird

Jun 24, 2018, 10:42:26 AM6/24/18
to BuildTak
I added the magnetic plate to the aluminum bed plate on my Tech-1.  The aluminum plate is very flat.  Run a straight edge on it in any directions and it is good.
I am now finding that the magnetic plate has a bad crown in the center.  It is like a mound that in the center moving toward all of the edges.  The center of the build plate is significantly higher than at the edges.  A rough measure puts it at about a 0.2mm change or drop from the center of the bed to the side edge.
The same straight edge placed on the bed, with out the spring steel part, will actually rock side to side.

This makes it near impossible to get a good first layer.  The outer edges of trhe layer start to show gaps while the center area is mashed into the bed causing a wave pattern and accumulation of filament on the nozzle.

Material is PLA.  I have tried from 90% first layer up to 120% so far.  At 120% it is somewhat better but there is still an obvious problem.

Any ideas on this?

Wirlybird

Jun 24, 2018, 11:31:42 AM6/24/18
to BuildTak
I have gone back and re leveled the bed.  I brought it up to temperature.
I level over each leveling screw using a standard piece of paper.  Once I get a level where there is a slight friction on the paper at each point I move the nozzle to the center of the bed just to test and I can not even get the paper under the nozzle.
I never had this issue before adding the magnetic base to the bed.

Wirlybird

Jun 25, 2018, 11:03:33 AM6/25/18
to BuildTak
Update.
I attached the magnetic plate to my glass and then that back on the aluminum plate.  It is flatter but major heat loss.  Running the bed at 75 and getting a max of 62 on the build surface.  Way to much heat loss.

BuildTak

Jun 25, 2018, 1:23:45 PM6/25/18
to BuildTak
I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your FlexPlate System.  A temperature loss of 13C at a set temp of 75C is well-above what we've measured experimentally; We generally see temperature losses in the range of 4-8C.  While this is of course undesirable, you'll find that when using BuildTak surfaces you won't require the same bed temps as needed when printing on glass.  BuildTak tends to hold prints down much more strongly than does glass.  If you experience first layer adhesion problems which you believe to be temperature-related, try increasing your nozzle temperature for the first layer.  This can have a bigger impact than bed temperature.

Wirlybird

Jun 25, 2018, 1:57:28 PM6/25/18
to BuildTak
I was printing on PEI on glass before and 65 for the first layer was a good temp.

The temp needed for PLA is ok but I have not tried ABS yet and pushing the heater to 120-125 to get a 110 first layer is more than I am comfortable with.  I will see how it goes once I try it.

Also the mag plate on glass then on the bed is cumbersome and not really an ideal setup.  Too many layers!

I am having a new aluminum bed made that is twice the thickness (like the bed plus glass) and see how that does on warping.

An all glass bed with the heater attached directly would be an ideal solution maybe.

BuildTak

Jun 25, 2018, 5:12:33 PM6/25/18
to BuildTak
We would not recommend exceeding 120C bed temperature as this can cause failure of the BuildTak materials.  Most materials - including ABS - can be printed at an actual bed temperature below that required to print on glass.

Wirlybird

Jun 26, 2018, 7:31:44 AM6/26/18
to BuildTak
I don't want to exceed that on the machine since I think it is a level where it is going to stress the main board.  My point was I may have to set the heater temp to 120 or higher in order to get a bed temp even close to 110.
I will definitely be a fan of being able to print ABS at a lower bed temp, especially without warping.

I am having a machine shop make a new aluminum platform to see if warping is improved with a thicker platform.  Curious to see heating performance also.

I also ordered some MIC 6 aluminum to make build plates from.  I think this will be the best solution to be able to add the mag base direct to the platform without glass since the MIC 6 is supposed to stay flat and stable when heated.

I'll post results as I get them.

Wirlybird

Jun 28, 2018, 11:30:19 AM6/28/18
to BuildTak
New MIC 6 aluminum build plates arrived and I'll do the machining on them this weekend and get a mag plate attached and see how they workout for staying flat.

Details to follow!

Brian Henning

Mar 26, 2020, 12:50:45 PM3/26/20
to BuildTak
Hey, whatever became of this issue for you?  I've lately started doing more printing and noticed exactly the same issue on my Taz 5.  The center of the plate is markedly higher than the perimeter, causing bottom-layer havoc with anything that takes up enough of a footprint.

I wonder if adding some sort of center leveler that could pull downward in the middle of the build plate would do any good...

-Brian