University Campus Portal

shivangi bajpai

Mar 1, 2016, 1:19:46 PM3/1/16
to BuildmLearn
Hello,I am Shivangi. I am a django developer and I will apply for the GSoC 2016. I have gone through the ideas page. I am interested in "University Campus Protocol" project idea. I have already made a similar project named College Centralization System in one of the hackathons.The project consisted of different user login for students,faculty and administration with their different functionalities that could be universally used by any college or university.The project also consisted of a chat application for the interaction of all users. Also ,I have made few more projects in django invoIving rest api,redis web sockets etc.and I am currently involved in Stanford crowdresearch program in which they are developing a crowdsource platform for requesters and workers based on django and angular js. I am currently doing contributions in django and python.
Can you tell me some details,if there is need for patches to be submitted?

Thanks.

Avnee

Mar 1, 2016, 1:30:26 PM3/1/16
to BuildmLearn
Hi Shivangi

Thanks for sharing your details with us. You seem to already have worked on similar projects as per your email.

Since UCP is going to be developed from the ground up, there is no scope to submit patches for it yet. Please do include links and details of your past projects and open source contributions in your proposal. We would be keen to see your proposed wireframes for the project, technical details about implementation, designed models (scalability) and database schema in your proposal.

Feel free to reach out to me in case you have any queries about the project.

Avnee
Message has been deleted

Avnee

Mar 2, 2016, 5:45:11 AM3/2/16
to BuildmLearn
Hi Kushagra

I had made a demo web application of a health center for a university which had some functionalities like different logins for different users, registration of patients, email notifier, medicines available, searching medicines in the center etc., in web2py. I have working experience of django as well. It would be great if you could provide some more details on how to proceed for the project. Do I need to directly write a proposal?

Try to come up with the portal design first, get feedback on it from me. Next, formulate a plan of action as to how you design your models, database schema so that the app is scalable as well as the permissions are handled correctly, making the system usable for a large number of students.

Avnee

Abhinav Mishra

Mar 2, 2016, 10:53:43 AM3/2/16
to BuildmLearn
Hi!!
I am Abhinav Mishra, B. Tech CSE 3rd year student and have built many web application using django framework.I am currently working on one of my ideas which is being funded by my college to develop a Hospital Portal which includes features like maintaining records of patient ,online doctor scheduling ,hassle free payment and many more.

I have built a placement portal for my college which is in php.The idea of building a University campus portal is a brilliant one and I would love to be a part of it.
Selecting me will be a decision you will not regret as I have 2 year of experience in  with website development and had done many internship with in this.

Please Guide me through with how to approach further as I am raring to make a park with GSoc 2016.

Shubham Rathi

Mar 2, 2016, 12:48:41 PM3/2/16
to BuildmLearn

Hi!

I'm a student at IIIT Hyderabad keen to contribute to UCP. I've experience with Django ( Tried making an ecommerce site) and plenty experience with front end technologies ( worked as principle front end developer in different startups). I've done a bit of web design too ( My Portfolio can be seen on my website: http://shubhamrathi.in/)
If I understand right, I could get started by creating the initial UI (responsive) and basic functionalities in Django before I submit for feedback?
I'll be happy to know any examples/ features that need to incorporated in the design.

Thanks,
Shubham

Ritesh Giri

Mar 2, 2016, 12:49:47 PM3/2/16
to BuildmLearn
HI,

I am Ritesh Giri, student in Mumbai University , currently in penultimate year of Computer Engineering .
I would love to contribute to developement of "University Campus Portal"

I am python , mysql,php,XML,HTML5 and CSS3 . Avid learner and have a sound knowledge of of algorithms and data structures.

A a part of college project , i developed online college feedback system using a full stack python developement  .
rian.comlu.com is a frontend project i had developed as a college mini project. and stilll working on it..:)

Currently i am getting familiar with git/github...hadnt used it before...will be done with it in a day or two.. :)

Would soon let u know the design of the University Campus Portal :)

Avnee

Mar 2, 2016, 12:55:29 PM3/2/16
to BuildmLearn

If I understand right, I could get started by creating the initial UI (responsive) and basic functionalities in Django before I submit for feedback?

You can however it is not required. I would suggest that you atleast include the wireframes for the project in your proposal.

I'll be happy to know any examples/ features that need to incorporated in the design.

The features are mentioned on the ideas page.

Avnee

Mar 2, 2016, 12:56:55 PM3/2/16
to BuildmLearn
Hi Abhinav

If you are new to GSoC, please do read the student guide: http://write.flossmanuals.net/gsocstudentguide/what-is-google-summer-of-code/

Kiran Konduru

Mar 3, 2016, 8:41:26 AM3/3/16
to BuildmLearn
Hello,

I am Kiran Konduru, currently in second year of computer science at NIT Warangal.
I loved the idea of University Campus Portal and I am very much interested in working on it.
I am very well versed with Python, Django, HTML, CSS, bootstrap and MYSQL and also familiar with Javascript. I have a good knowledge of C/C++ and also know the basic operations of MongoDB and Nodejs .I have also worked with php for one of my projects.

My experiences in Django include an internship with a startup names bookpool. I have also worked on our college fest http://springspree.in
I am member of wsdc(web and software development cell, NITW) which is responsible for all the online activities in the college.Here we have separate portals for students and faculties which is used for everything from online hostel allotments to results to attendance for each individual student and feedbacks for the teachers under which we have taken a particular courses. So, being involved in this, I have a basic idea on how to approach this problem statement.

So having spent a considerable time in developing with Django, I think this project will help me refine my skills in Django and improve as a whole in this field.
Looking forward to contribute to UCP.

Thanks!

M Devendra Kumar Dora

Mar 3, 2016, 9:00:42 AM3/3/16
to BuildmLearn
Hi,

This is Devendra Dora , pursuing  computer science and engineering in NIT Warangal .

  - Developed various Web apps like Student, Faculty, Results Upload, Faculty Recruitment and Hostel and Mess Allotment portals used by almost 5000 students, faculty and admin in NIT Warangal and Lead web and sofwatware development cell , NIT Warangal (The above portals are private which are used in NIT Warangal , so not sharing the links).

- Web coordinator for cultural fest of NIT Warangal (http://springspree.in/)

- Developed a social education network site http://www.campus.net.in/

Infact,  most of the features to be implemented in "University campus portal"  are similar to the projects which were mentioned above.

Moreover I have enough experience in web development especially python (Django,Flask) , PHP (codeigniter) , Mysql. Mongodb , jquery , angular js.

Link to my projects,experience and achivements : click here

It would be better, if you can assign some tasks related to University campus portal now, so that i can work on.

Janga reddy

Mar 3, 2016, 9:00:42 AM3/3/16
to BuildmLearn
Hi,
My name is Janga Reddy,and I am a sophomore at the IIT Kharagpur. I have experience with HTML,CSS,Bootstrap,and a workable knowledge of using APIs and Python. I made a couple of Web applications using responsive design and jqeury , and you can go through my work here. I would like to work on the project on "University Campus Portal", during Gsoc 2016. I have a query regarding submitting a mockup for review by the mentors. Do I need to submit just the front-end design and theme sample, or along with the backend features?

Shubham Rathi

Mar 3, 2016, 9:00:42 AM3/3/16
to BuildmLearn
I'm already familiar with Django and other Front end technologies. To get started, I'm planning to implement the index page in full and then a registration page. Is this good to start or would you recommend that I focus on something else? Is there a particular part of the project which you would want me to work on to test my proficiency/ understanding?
Also, What version of Django would you recommend that I initiate the project on: 1.8 or 1.9?

Avnee

Mar 3, 2016, 9:11:33 AM3/3/16
to BuildmLearn
Hi Kiran, Devendra, Janga and Shubham

Thanks for introducing yourself to the group.

@Devendra: Since the project is going to be built from the ground up, there are not any coding tasks yet. You may however want to work on the wireframes and overall software design of the project to include these details in your proposal.

@Janga: You should also submit your plan of action to develop the project. I would be interested to see how you design your models and database schema for the project. We also have a list of things that you should include in your proposal here: https://github.com/BuildmLearn/BuildmLearn-Toolkit/wiki/Guidance-for-Students#project-proposal

@Shubham: We would suggest to work with 1.8 LTS version. You may submit a sample django project with your proposal - to show your skill set, however this is not compulsory. Please include links to your past projects in your proposal.

Avnee

siddharth singh

Mar 3, 2016, 12:54:18 PM3/3/16
to BuildmLearn
Hi Mentors,

I am interested in contributing to the project 'University Campus Portal' during GSoC 2016.
I have been using Django for about a year now, having built several Django powered web app in hackathons and one web-app tagtraqr.com in production. I am the sole contributor to this project which included working on frontend, backend, database designing, restful and oauth2 apis for mobile clients as well as running and maintaining the production server. I would like to discuss on the database designs with the mentors soon. Please let me know where can I discuss that.

A quick introduction, I’m Siddharth Singh, a second year student at IIIT Delhi, India. My major is Computer Science.

Thanks and Regards

Siddharth Singh

Syed Aqhib

Mar 4, 2016, 1:04:36 PM3/4/16
to BuildmLearn

   Hi,
           I am Syed Aqhib, Computer Science B.E sophomore at Madras Institute of Technology, Anna University, Chennai. I am fairly new to Open Source(hoping that it's not a deal-breaker) and recently happened to chance upon GSoC.
           I found the idea of a campus portal quite interesting and would love to work on it. In fact, I just started working on a similar web application for a University course project. I'm quite familiar with HTML5/CSS3, Javascript and the Bootstrap Framework. Although I have used python for other purposes, I've never used the Django Framework to develop a web app. I intend to learn the framework over this weekend.
          I've read the 'where to start' section for this particular project and was wondering if i could start working on a basic web application right away (after learning Django).

Thanking you for your time,
Syed

Aviral Gupta

Mar 13, 2016, 1:56:52 PM3/13/16
to BuildmLearn
Hi,
I am Aviral Gupta. I am in my third year doing B.Tech from Maharaja Agrasen Institute of Technology. I did a course on Web Development (Elixir) from Coding Blocks, New Delhi during my last semester.
I learnt Django during the course. So, I have been working since then on a major project using Django which is still in works. Apart from that I recently developed an online web application for Online Treasure Hunt game for my college fest which uses Django as a backend framework and Bootstrap for front end. I have good experience with Bootstrap as I have also developed my own website and website for the ACM Chapter of my college using the same.
I think I ll be able to implement the University Campus Portal with the experience I have gained over the last few months. I would be delighted to work on this project during my summer breaks.
Please tell me how I should proceed with the proposal. :)

Ps. I know I am late, but I would definitely submit a full proposal ASAP :)

Thanks.

Avnee

Mar 13, 2016, 2:06:34 PM3/13/16
to BuildmLearn
Hey Aviral,

I think I ll be able to implement the University Campus Portal with the experience I have gained over the last few months. I would be delighted to work on this project during my summer breaks.
Please tell me how I should proceed with the proposal. :)

You may want to go through the existing group discussions for more context and details about the project. Much has been already discussed in the group.

For preparing your proposal, follow the instructions listed on this page,

NDE MICHAEL

Mar 13, 2016, 2:23:35 PM3/13/16
to BuildmLearn
Hello, am Nde Tabefor Michael a sophomore year student studying software engineering, School of Information Technology from the Catholic University Institute of Buea. I have been working the open source applications for a year now, have a good knowledge of C, JAVA, PHP programming languages, also I have a mastery in HTML5, CSS.
I have

Am Interested in the UCP (Universty Campus Portal) projects.
Am currently setting up the enviroment for this projects.

Cheers