Wikipedia Mobile Application

Chetan Mann

Mar 1, 2016, 1:36:05 AM3/1/16
to BuildmLearn

Hi BuildmLearn,

I am Chetan Mann, currently pursuing my B.Tech(3rd yr)  in Computer Science from Delhi Technological University, New Delhi.  I am developing android applications from past 2yrs and I love to implement cool ideas and working with different organizations.

I  am very much interested in working on project   "Wikipedia Mobile Editor (Android) " .  And i would like to start working on it. Can you please guide me further.

Thanking You
Chetan Mann
India

Rahul Ahuja

Mar 1, 2016, 1:41:06 AM3/1/16
to BuildmLearn
Hi Chetan

I  am very much interested in working on project   "Wikipedia Mobile Editor (Android) " .  And i would like to start working on it. Can you please guide me further.

This is the time for students to work on their proposals for their favourite idea. We have some instructions on Where to Start here: https://github.com/BuildmLearn/BuildmLearn-Toolkit/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code-2016-Ideas#where-do-i-start-1

You already seem familiar with Android, so I would suggest that you start working on a proposal for the project. We have some guidelines of what you could include in your proposal here: https://github.com/BuildmLearn/BuildmLearn-Toolkit/wiki/Guidance-for-Students#project-proposal

Rahul

Chetan Mann

Mar 1, 2016, 6:22:48 AM3/1/16
to BuildmLearn
Sir,
      I have few queries :

     1.    I want to ask that whether the proposal needs to be submitted to the respected organization or directly to the google itself. I am new to GSOC and little bit confused about where the proposal needs to be submitted.

     2.     On reading about the project I think there are basically three main parts of the applications :

            1.  Reading a page

            2. Creating a new page

            3. Editing a existing page

         As initially I did a basic research on this project and I have found the API(s) which can help me perform the read operation,  can I start                   working on the project from today and show you a basic app which shows the content of a searched page (try to complete it  within a week).        Or i need to firstly submit the proposal and then only i can proceed.

Thank You

Chetan Mann

Pankaj Nathani

Mar 1, 2016, 6:30:58 AM3/1/16
to BuildmLearn

     1.    I want to ask that whether the proposal needs to be submitted to the respected organization or directly to the google itself. I am new to GSOC and little bit confused about where the proposal needs to be submitted.

You have to submit the proposal to Google first. Google will start accepting Student proposals after 15 March.

If your proposal is accepted, you are then selected to participate in GSoC program. Google will announce selected students on 22 April. You should then start working on the project as a part of GSoC program.

You should read the student's guide if you are a first time GSoC student: http://write.flossmanuals.net/gsocstudentguide/what-is-google-summer-of-code/

Chetan Mann

Mar 5, 2016, 8:34:17 AM3/5/16
to BuildmLearn

Hi sir,

After 3-4 days of researching for various api's :

1. I am able to create a new page using an api from the application

2. Doing basic editing in a existing page.

I have following queries regarding reading the content of a page:

1. Do the app need to have the same page content as it is show on website. Because on doing a basic research I found that the available API's return all the content of page in json format at their best and hence we need to manually mark different parts like hyperlink, bold characters, italicized characters etc.

2. Do we need to have all the links present along with text or we can maintain their different list using a navigation drawer or some alternative or do we need to simply avoid them.

3. If we want all the text in the same format as it is on the website then I need to use different libraries for parsing of data in appropriate manner and also I have to build my own algorithms for the same. Is their any limitation for doing so ??

4. User would definitely search for some phrase or word , it is likely that the exact name entered might not match with any page available there may be some difference . (For eg. if i search for "DTU" then there  is no page corresponding to it, but it gives me suggestion for page "Delhi Technological University" and several others) . Do I need to implement some mechanism so as to obtain some suggested page close to the one queried by user or User is supposed to enter the correct name him/her self.  I need your immense help for this issue, I hope you can guide me solving this issue as I think this is the main problem which would be faced while searching for a page.

I wish you can suggest me some similar problems which the user might face during his editing and page creating part which i should keep in mind while designing the wireframe.

Waiting for further suggestions

Thanking You

Chetan Mann

India

Pankaj Nathani

Mar 5, 2016, 8:45:37 AM3/5/16
to BuildmLearn
Hi Chetan

1. Do the app need to have the same page content as it is show on website. Because on doing a basic research I found that the available API's return all the content of page in json format at their best and hence we need to manually mark different parts like hyperlink, bold characters, italicized characters etc.

2. Do we need to have all the links present along with text or we can maintain their different list using a navigation drawer or some alternative or do we need to simply avoid them.

3. If we want all the text in the same format as it is on the website then I need to use different libraries for parsing of data in appropriate manner and also I have to build my own algorithms for the same. Is their any limitation for doing so ??

In terms of viewing the page: Yes, we need to linkify the hyperlinks. They are important, clicking on the hyperlink should navigate to the respective page. We could however hide the TOC, and make it accessible via ride side view.

Of course, you would need to write your own parsing to achieve this. You may also use other libraries for this if you find any. There is no limitation to do so - it should be free and open source library.

4. User would definitely search for some phrase or word , it is likely that the exact name entered might not match with any page available there may be some difference . (For eg. if i search for "DTU" then there  is no page corresponding to it, but it gives me suggestion for page "Delhi Technological University" and several others) . Do I need to implement some mechanism so as to obtain some suggested page close to the one queried by user or User is supposed to enter the correct name him/her self.  I need your immense help for this issue, I hope you can guide me solving this issue as I think this is the main problem which would be faced while searching for a page.

You do not need to implement the search. There would be a search or autocomplete API which would provide you with probable matches. You would need to have a screen for these results.

Chetan Mann

Mar 11, 2016, 5:56:33 AM3/11/16
to BuildmLearn

Hi Sir,

Thank you so much for clearing my doubts and helping me so much. Your guidance  is motivating me more for working on the project. I am continuously  working on this project regarding the api's, libraries and parsing algorithms I need to use.  I am also designing the wireframes to be included in the proposal. But since I am having exams this week till 18th march I am unable to make proposal before 18th so I wont be able to post the proposal on the group for review.  Will posting the proposal for a review make any difference in my selection process ?? Or I can submit it directly to the google.

Waiting for further guidance.

Thanking You

Chetan Mann

India

Rahul Ahuja

Mar 11, 2016, 5:57:31 AM3/11/16
to BuildmLearn
You may submit the proposal to Google directly after 15th March.