p2p infrastructure: PageKite wants to be on your list! :-)

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson

Mar 5, 2011, 9:07:01 AM3/5/11
to building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com
Hello people!

As you are collecting links to p2p infrastructure projects, I thought I'd toot my own horn and tell you about my project, PageKite. My apologies if you were already aware of it (I suspect there is a fair bit of overlap between this list and the FreedomBox lists) or feel it is a poor fit.

(tl;dr: https://pagekite.net/wiki/OpenSource/ )

Pagekite is a very pragmatic attempt to enable more p2p-like behavior on the WWW by making it really easy for people to run publicly visible HTTP (or HTTPS) servers from personal and/or mobile devices.

The system is not true "p2p" in that it relies on intermediate servers (front-ends) to do application layer routing (proxying/tunneling) - but on the other hand it is 100% backwards compatible with the WWW we are using today which means it can provide a seamless upgrade path from centralized silos like Facebook to decentralized networks that run on private hardware.

I'm working on this as an open-source project on the one hand, and a small bootstrapping startup on the other, which will pay the bills and make the tech available to the general public by offering front-end service (for a fee, unless a pile of money falls in our laps).

The main goal of the technical work is ease of use - PageKite (combined with the Service) replaces the intricacies of DNS and routers/firewalls and port-forwarding with a simple install and trivial configuration file. We want to lower the technical bar for running your own webserver to the point that anyone can do it. :-)

(Yes, this is similar to Opera Unite and some of Nokia's efforts, but differs in that it is a true open source project with a life of its own.)

The basic code and service are both fully functional at this point (Python code, which runs on Windows, Linux and OS X), and we are transitioning towards focusing more on usability and improving our documentation and systems integration. I'd love to have feedback from people on this list and am actively looking for people to collaborate with.

Our open-source stuff is here: https://pagekite.net/wiki/OpenSource/

The service tries to sell itself here: https://pagekite.net/

We're also on freenode, on #pagekite

Thanks!

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
The Beanstalks Project ehf.

Making personal web-pages fly: http://pagekite.net/

Venessa Miemis

Mar 5, 2011, 3:16:32 PM3/5/11
to The Next Net
cool, thanks for sharing this. i'll pass it on to Michel to add to the
P2P Infrastructure page of the wiki. :)

- v

Samuel Rose

Mar 5, 2011, 3:47:49 PM3/5/11
to building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com, Venessa Miemis

Created page, we'll grow it more soon. Thanks! PageKite has some great
ideas. http://p2pfoundation.net/PageKite

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samue...@gmail.com
http://forwardfound.org
http://futureforwardinstitute.org
http://hollymeadcapital.com
http://p2pfoundation.net
http://socialmediaclassroom.com

ambition." - Carl Sagan

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson

Mar 6, 2011, 6:59:21 AM3/6/11
On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 8:47 PM, Samuel Rose <samue...@gmail.com> wrote:

Created page, we'll grow it more soon. Thanks! PageKite has some great
ideas. http://p2pfoundation.net/PageKite

Cool!  Glad you like it.

I was browsing the P2P Infrastructure page, trying to figure out where PageKite fits in. I think PageKite is definitely a "Project to decentralize/distribute the internet" and under "by layer" we are probably a naming/routing project, of sorts.

 :-)

Samuel Rose

Mar 6, 2011, 7:35:11 AM3/6/11
to building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com, Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson
2011/3/6 Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson <b...@pagekite.net>:

> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 8:47 PM, Samuel Rose <samue...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Created page, we'll grow it more soon. Thanks! PageKite has some great
>> ideas. http://p2pfoundation.net/PageKite
>
> Cool!  Glad you like it.
>
> I was browsing the P2P Infrastructure page, trying to figure out where
> PageKite fits in. I think PageKite is definitely a "Project to
> decentralize/distribute the internet" and under "by layer" we are probably a
> naming/routing project, of sorts.
>
>  :-)

I am pretty sure that pagekite is on the "application layer"
(following the OSI model anyway). Thanks for letting us know about it.

> --
> Bjarni R. Einarsson
> The Beanstalks Project ehf.
>
> Making personal web-pages fly: http://pagekite.net/

reine reine

Mar 6, 2011, 5:52:10 PM3/6/11
to building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com
Python: GREAT!, ".net"...dubious!. Anyway, keep on trucking.

Michel Bauwens

Mar 6, 2011, 11:23:40 PM3/6/11
to The Next Net
Dear Sam,

please see if I placed it in the correct place under application layer,

I have an extra request, I think the wiki page would be much more easier to use in two column format, as introduced for example in the Politics page, see http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Politics for that example

could someone work on that for the P2P Infrastructure page as well, it just requires some attention to the equilibrium of sections going left and right, but a logical candidate would be to put the sections by layer and by section in such a left/right relationship

Michel

--
P2P Foundation: http://p2pfoundation.net  - http://blog.p2pfoundation.net

Updates: http://del.icio.us/mbauwens; http://friendfeed.com/mbauwens; http://twitter.com/mbauwens; http://www.facebook.com/mbauwens