( shared ) vision for "distributed database using semantic linked-data structure", and current tool development

Dante-Gabryell Monson

Oct 19, 2012, 7:49:06 AM10/19/12
to building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com, global-...@googlegroups.com
I feel like cross posting , making a connection between those two lists

sharing Poor Richard's post as context :

including comments on

and recent updates in relation to Netention prototypes :

http://blog.automenta.com/2012/10/netention-semantic-editor-design-options.html

Oct 19, 2012, 7:56:05 AM10/19/12
to building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com, global-...@googlegroups.com, dante....@gmail.com
Dante,

Not much action up in here (Next Net) lately, but thanks for cross posting!

PR

Poor Richard

Oct 19, 2012, 8:44:20 AM10/19/12
to building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com, global-...@googlegroups.com, dante....@gmail.com
Dante,

The proposed netention semantic editor would be truly awesome! Not that I'm any expert on the topic, but that is the first tool of its kind I have even seen a coherent description of. I would suggest that such an editor should have easy switching between several views including an outline view and a semantic graph view as well as the wysiwyg document content.

At the risk of complexifying further, is there any way in hell that a great editor like LibreOffice (a free and open source office suite descended from OpenOffice.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice ) could be forked and retrofitted with semantic functions? Then we'd have semantic spreadsheets, outlines, etc., too. (LibreOffice Online will allow for the use of LibreOffice through a web browser by using the canvas element. Development is ongoing and it has not yet been released)

PR

Fabio Cecin

Oct 19, 2012, 1:05:02 PM10/19/12
On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 4:49 AM, Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante....@gmail.com> wrote:

A phrase from Seth I wish to share in this context :

"I've explained to people that Netention is not just a product - but that it refers to the evolution of human language into new semantic and syntactical domains of higher expressiveness and effectiveness in programming reality itself, not just software.  so anything that can help this goal ought to be part of the project, as long as it doesn't complexify it."

It seems that that's the sort of stuff I was looking for.

This makes building a decentralized, democratic (as in "for, by and of the people") Internet and a decentralized, democratic software ecosystem that more meaningful.

Instead of being passive users of the "cultures" and "systems" we're born into, which we'll proceed to blindly run though our spiffy new, guaranteed democratic "series of tubes" (made of hardware and software) we can also start coding and testing our own cultures and systems (I mean "cultures and systems" in a "network of brain software" or "network of minds" sense).

The point is to enable each individual to relate in new, saner, perhaps simpler ways to others and the world. Even if the overall amount of knowledge or total mental overhead required to pull this off is large. But that's why we have automated "mental" systems, a.k.a. software, with all the reasoning subcomponents ["apps," "operating systems," etc.], memory banks ["databases"] and so on: so we can concentrate our human minds on what's more important and leave all of the boring "paperwork" and tracking to the machines -- /our/ machines, that is, of each and every one of us, not of an elite.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Fabio

Poor Richard

Oct 19, 2012, 1:26:25 PM10/19/12
to building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com
Fabio, I agree, sir.

 PR

Mark Adam

Oct 19, 2012, 9:02:35 PM10/19/12
to building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com
>On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Fabio Cecin <fce...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 4:49 AM, Dante-Gabryell Monson
> <dante....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> A phrase from Seth I wish to share in this context :
>>
>> "I've explained to people that Netention is not just a product - but that
>> it refers to the evolution of human language into new semantic and
>> syntactical domains of higher expressiveness and effectiveness in
>> programming reality itself, not just software. so anything that can help
>> this goal ought to be part of the project, as long as it doesn't complexify
>> it."
>>

> It seems that that's the sort of stuff I was looking for.

This is cool. My feeling is that goal of the programming language art
is find the highest "Kolmogorov factor" for compressing the human
desire for compact, elegant expressiveness into actual, runnable code.
To me, so far, the Python programming language (especially with
VPython), has formed the highest value of any programming language.

Glad to see some similar thoughts.

MarkJ
Pangaia Project