(shared) Introducing Ubuntu Web Apps: setting the web free of the browser

Poor Richard

Oct 19, 2012, 12:17:20 PM10/19/12
to building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com
cross posting from public-rww <publi...@w3.org>

Introducing Ubuntu Web Apps: setting the web free of the browser

Fri, Oct 19, 2012
Melvin Carvalho

to public-rww
This is a very interesting development.

Note: Ubuntu is set to ship on 5% of all PCs in 2013

http://blog.canonical.com/2012/07/19/introducing-ubuntu-web-apps-setting-the-web-free-of-the-browser/

The web / desktop integration was launched yesterday as part of the next version of Ubuntu.  Have to say I'm impressed so far, it all seems very slick.

It seamlessly guides the user to integrating web accounts with one or more desktop applications.  The main thing I've noticed so far is notification are integrated into your topbar but there seems quite a bit more to it.  Will have to play around!

"That makes Ubuntu the best platform for the web – secure, fast and lightweight. This new feature is part of our drive to make the web a first class part of Ubuntu. We’ve already turned 40 popular web sites into Ubuntu Web Apps and there are plenty more on the way. It’s easy to integrate your favourite website or interface natively into the desktop, and share the result with all Ubuntu users. No other OS has come close to this level of integration between the web and desktop."

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x7vF-AB7SF4

Nick Vidal

to public-rww
I actually find the B2G more interesting:

Obviously the Web and the OS will merge in the near future. There are two ways towards reaching this. Thinking from the OS towards the Web, or the inverse. The later is the strategy adopted by B2G.

Another related project is Chromium OS:

Eugen Leitl

Oct 19, 2012, 12:26:17 PM10/19/12
On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 09:17:20AM -0700, Poor Richard wrote:
> cross posting from public-rww <publi...@w3.org>
>
> Introducing Ubuntu Web Apps: setting the web free of the browser

Apropos of nothing, I suggest you guys check out cjdns.

> Fri, Oct 19, 2012
> Melvin Carvalho
>

> to public-rww
> This is a very interesting development.
>
> *Note:* Ubuntu is set to ship on 5% of all PCs in 2013
>
> http://blog.canonical.com/2012/07/19/introducing-ubuntu-web-apps-setting-the-web-free-of-the-browser/
>
> The web / desktop integration was launched yesterday as part of the next
> version of Ubuntu. Have to say I'm impressed so far, it all seems very
> slick.
>
> It seamlessly guides the user to integrating web accounts with one or more
> desktop applications. The main thing I've noticed so far is notification
> are integrated into your topbar but there seems quite a bit more to it.
> Will have to play around!
>
> "That makes Ubuntu the best platform for the web – secure, fast and
> lightweight. This new feature is part of our drive to make the web a first
> class part of Ubuntu. We’ve already turned 40 popular web sites into Ubuntu
> Web Apps and there are plenty more on the way. It’s easy to integrate your
> favourite website or interface natively into the desktop, and share the
> result with all Ubuntu users. No other OS has come close to this level of
> integration between the web and desktop."
>
> video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x7vF-AB7SF4

> Nick Vidal
>

> to public-rww
> I actually find the B2G more interesting:
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Booting_to_the_Web
>
> Obviously the Web and the OS will merge in the near future. There are two
> ways towards reaching this. Thinking from the OS towards the Web, or the
> inverse. The later is the strategy adopted by B2G.
>
> Another related project is Chromium OS:
>
> http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/
>
> ...--
8B29F6BE: 099D 78BA 2FD3 B014 B08A 7779 75B0 2443 8B29 F6BE

Poor Richard

Oct 19, 2012, 1:22:47 PM10/19/12
to building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Eugen, I'll look into it.  PR