Funding for you to come work on Sage

David Roe

Feb 5, 2012, 4:23:10 PM2/5/12
to bug...@googlegroups.com, sage-...@googlegroups.com
William and I are planning three workshops in the next four months and we have funding available to support attendees.  If you're seriously interested in attending one (or more) of these please e-mail me immediately.  A priori we have no restrictions on where you're flying from and we don't need a commitment quite yet; we do need to gauge interest however in order to start planning.  Funded participants will have housing and travel covered.

Here's a description of the workshops.

Review Days

The purpose of this workshop will be twofold.
* Review some of the 275 tickets currently needing review.
* Improve Sage's review and testing infrastructure.  This may include setting up a system that allows line by line comments (like Google's internal Perforce system, or the open source versions Rietveld or Review Board), requiring authors of tickets to suggest a reviewer and setting up systems to provide defaults, fixing patchbot and finishing the new doctesting code (#12415)

The tentative dates for Review Days are March 17-22.

Doc Days

The goals for this workshop will be:
* Improve Sage's doctest coverage
* Restructure Sage's documentation and help to be more useful and friendly to new users
* Write more documentation

The tentative dates for Doc Days are April 17-22.

Bug Days

This will be a standard bug days where our goal is to squash as many bugs as we can.

The tentative dates for Bug Days are May 17-22 (partly for symmetry: the dates for this workshop are somewhat more flexible).

David

William Stein

Feb 5, 2012, 4:32:16 PM2/5/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, bug...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 1:29 PM, John H Palmieri <jhpalm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are these workshops all going to be in Seattle?

Yes.

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics

David Roe

Feb 10, 2012, 6:12:31 PM2/10/12
to bug...@googlegroups.com, sage-...@googlegroups.com
We're still looking for some more people.  We'll be moving Bug Days a week later to accommodate multiple requests, so it will now be May 24-29.  As William noted in a followup e-mail, these events will all be held at the University of Washington in Seattle.

We're especially looking for people for Review Days and Doc Days.  If you're excited about incorporating the patchbot into Sage and making it easier for people to contribute code to Sage you should come to Review Days!  And if you want to make Sage easier to get into and can help us write documentation we'd love to have you at Doc Days.
David

David Roe

Mar 1, 2012, 2:01:33 PM3/1/12
to bug...@googlegroups.com, sage-...@googlegroups.com
There are now wiki pages for these events; the following people are planning on attending (though some won't be there full time):

Review Days (March 17-22): http://wiki.sagemath.org/review2
  • Jen Balakrishnan (Harvard University)
  • Rob Beezer (University of Puget Sound)
  • Jon Bober (University of Washington)
  • Tom Boothby (Simon Frasier University)
  • Robert Bradshaw (Google)
  • Keshav Kini (Nanyang Technological University)
  • David Roe (University of Calgary)
  • William Stein (University of Washington)
Doc Days (April 17-22): http://wiki.sagemath.org/doc6
Bug Days (May 24-29): http://wiki.sagemath.org/bug19
  • Rob Beezer (University of Puget Sound)
  • Jon Bober (University of Washington)
  • Volker Braun (Dublin Institute for Advanced Study)
  • Karl-Dieter Crisman (Gordon College)
  • Dan Drake (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology)
  • Keshav Kini (Nanyang Technological University)
  • Andrey Novoseltsev (University of Alberta)
  • Martin Raum (Max Planck Institute for Mathematics)
  • David Roe (University of Calgary)
  • Julian Ruth (Leibniz University)
  • William Stein (University of Washington)
If you're local and plan to attend, please add your name to the wiki pages.  If you're not local and would like to attend, please e-mail me to inquire about funding to participate.
David