Re: upcoming Sage Days

William Stein

Jan 21, 2014, 12:59:26 AM1/21/14
to sage-devel, bugdays, Burcin Erocal, Julian Rüth
On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 11:56 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here are some upcoming Sage Days workshops, which I just added numbers
> for. The dates of some are tentative. If *you're* interested in
> going to one, let me know...
>
> Sage Days 57: Sage Combinatorics Days in Cernay-la-ville (sometime
> February-May, TBA).
> Sage Days 58: Bugs Days, San Diego (sometime April, 2014).

From my side the best dates for Bug Days would be March 17-21 (a
Monday - Friday).

So far though only two people -- Julian Ruth and Burcin Erocal -- have
expressed interest. Is anybody else interested in spending a week in
Southern California fixing bugs? We would need a few more bug fixers
to make this worthwhile. Travel and hotel is paid for participants,
in case you're wondering.

If there aren't enough interested people, then we could do a bug days
in Seattle in April, May or June instead.

-- William

Martin Albrecht

Jan 21, 2014, 3:48:40 AM1/21/14
to bug...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

FWIW May or June look more possible from my end, but it would depend a lot on the actual dates as those months are already filling up in my calendar.

I definitely have a week free in November ;)

Cheers,
Martin
--
name: Martin Albrecht
_pgp: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6532AFB4

Rob Beezer

Jan 21, 2014, 4:47:12 AM1/21/14
to bug...@googlegroups.com
I might be able to come to San Diego for a full Saturday and a full Sunday if
the dates included those (consecutive) days. Maybe not cost effective, though?

Higher probability of being able to spend more time at a Seattle event and then
am very low cost, so also a higher probability of perhaps being cost effective. ;-)

Don't forget week-long developer days in mid-June, and Edu Days, which will
shift to early part of the week.

Rob

Volker Braun

Jan 21, 2014, 8:44:06 AM1/21/14
to bug...@googlegroups.com, sage-devel
I'll be at a different conference during the second half of the week, so it wouldn't make much sense for me.

William Stein

Jan 21, 2014, 4:02:15 PM1/21/14
to bugdays, sage-devel
Hi,

So it seems pretty clear that if I do Bug Days in San Diego in March,
it would be pretty lonely. So what is interest like in doing the Bug
Days right after the "Sage on the Web" days? I.e., during the end of
June? So we would have the following:

* Sage Edu Days 6: University of Washington, Seattle (June 18-20, 2014)
(subject to funding)
* Sage Days 59: Sage on the Web, University of Washington, Seattle (June
16-20, 2014)
* Sage Days 58: BUG Days, University of Washington (June 21-??, 2014)

What do you think interest would be like? Basically we would have
three different funding sources, but adjacent events, and just shift
gears (and shuffle participants) somewhat from one to another. The
bug days could go to the end of June even, depending on interest.

-- William
> --

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington
http://wstein.org

William Stein

Jan 21, 2014, 5:01:13 PM1/21/14
to bugdays
On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:48 AM, Martin Albrecht
<martinr...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> FWIW May or June look more possible from my end, but it would depend a lot on the actual dates as those months are already filling up in my calendar.

How much of this would you be into:

- Sage Days 59: Sage on the Web, University of Washington, Seattle
(June 16-20, 2014)
- Sage Days 58: BUG Days, University of Washington (June 21-??, 2014)

Jeroen Demeyer

Jan 21, 2014, 5:51:07 PM1/21/14
to bug...@googlegroups.com
On 2014-01-21 23:01, William Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:48 AM, Martin Albrecht
> <martinr...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> FWIW May or June look more possible from my end, but it would depend a lot on the actual dates as those months are already filling up in my calendar.
>>

> How much of this would you be into:
>
> - Sage Days 59: Sage on the Web, University of Washington, Seattle
> (June 16-20, 2014)
> - Sage Days 58: BUG Days, University of Washington (June 21-??, 2014)
I *might* be interested in bug days at the end of June.

Martin Albrecht

Jan 21, 2014, 5:56:58 PM1/21/14
to bug...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday 21 Jan 2014 14:01:13 William Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:48 AM, Martin Albrecht
> <martinr...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > FWIW May or June look more possible from my end, but it would depend a lot on the actual dates as those months are already filling up in my calendar.
> >

> How much of this would you be into:
>
> - Sage Days 59: Sage on the Web, University of Washington, Seattle
> (June 16-20, 2014)
> - Sage Days 58: BUG Days, University of Washington (June 21-??, 2014)

I think it would be a bit pointless for me to go to Sage on the Web given how much of a noob I am when it comes to web technology.

However, the Sage BUG Days dates aren't good for me. I could possibly fly out on the 23rd, half to one week later would certainly be a lot better for me.

I don't know how flexible everything is, but how about doing a doodle thing for the weeks of June (and maybe early July) where everybody indicates availability and then pick the week which is best?
signature.asc

William Stein

Jan 23, 2014, 4:54:09 PM1/23/14
to sage-devel, bugdays
On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Travis Scrimshaw <tsc...@ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> Hey William,
> I'm interested in going, but I couldn't make it that week in March (the
> following week is good however). I wouldn't know about June for me right
> now.

March is definitely not going to happen. June definitely is. I'll
post exact dates soon.

> Best,
> Travis
> "sage-devel" group.
> email to sage-devel+...@googlegroups.com.

William Stein

Jan 24, 2014, 11:23:38 AM1/24/14
to sage-devel, bugdays
Hi,

I'm just going to make this Sage half-month official. Note that I
switched the SD58 and SD59 numbers.

* Sage Edu Days 6: University of Washington, Seattle (June 18-20, 2014)
* Sage Days 58: Sage on the Web, University of Washington, Seattle
(June 16-20, 2014)
* Sage Days 59: Bugs Days, San Diego (June 21-30, 2014).

There is funding for everything, as usual.

Also, John Hoebing asked: "When are we going to have a Sage
Differential Geometry Days?"
How many people are interested? Maybe do that as part of SD59?

-- william

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 4:26 PM, john.hoebing <jlh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When are we going to have a Sage Differential Geometry Days? The new
> manifolds package is a great start, it would be nice to get a good group
> together to build that into a robust differential geometry package.
>
> John Hoebing

Jason Grout

Jan 24, 2014, 11:32:03 AM1/24/14
to bug...@googlegroups.com
On 1/24/14 10:23 AM, William Stein wrote:
> * Sage Edu Days 6: University of Washington, Seattle (June 18-20, 2014)

Didn't we decide to move EduDays to the first part of the week to
accommodate lots of edudays participants who wanted to go to the IBL
conference later in the week?

Thanks,

Jason

William Stein

Jan 24, 2014, 11:34:05 AM1/24/14
to bugdays, sage-devel
I really should have written only about SD 58 and 59, since I'm not
organizing Edu Days 6.

But with the change you suggest, does that make it:

* Sage Edu Days 6: University of Washington, Seattle (June 16-18, 2014)
* Sage Days 58: Sage on the Web, University of Washington, Seattle
(June 16-20, 2014)
* Sage Days 59: Bugs Days, San Diego (June 21-30, 2014).

William

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Rob Beezer

Jan 24, 2014, 1:26:48 PM1/24/14
to bug...@googlegroups.com
Yes

Rob Beezer

Jan 24, 2014, 1:27:36 PM1/24/14
to bug...@googlegroups.com
I think so.

William Stein

Jan 26, 2014, 6:37:51 PM1/26/14
to sage-devel, bugdays
On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 3:13 PM, mmarco <mma...@unizar.es> wrote:
> I would like to attend to Seattle in June. As for the differential geometry,
> it is not my field of expertise, but i am definitely in. Besides the

Excellent -- you can definitely count on coming.

> manifold package, i would like to implement a class for commutative graded
> differential algebras (although it is not really differential geometry, i
> know of some differential geometers that would be happy to have it).

William Stein

Jan 28, 2014, 3:07:41 PM1/28/14
to sage-devel, bugdays
On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 1:52 AM, <kro...@uni-math.gwdg.de> wrote:

> I would like to join the sage bug days SD59, too
> and hope to fix some bugs in the meantime.

Excellent. I'll be in touch further a little later with a request of more info.

> Jack

William Stein

Jan 28, 2014, 3:09:09 PM1/28/14
to sage-devel, bugdays
Hi,

The location of the Bug Days in June will be in *Seattle*, directly
adjacent to the other two workshops in Seattle. I had copy/pasted
the schedule from before, and only changed the dates (and also the
location probably wasn't too important at this point). But having it
in Seattle will likely be cheaper and easier at that point, especially
given the overlap with people from SD58 and EDU days 6.

* Sage Edu Days 6: University of Washington, Seattle (??June 16-18, 2014??)
* Sage Days 58: Sage on the Web, University of Washington, Seattle
(June 16-20, 2014)
* Sage Days 59: Bugs Days, Seattle (June 21-30, 2014).
^^^^^^^^

-- William

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 3:13 PM, mmarco <mma...@unizar.es> wrote:
> I would like to attend to Seattle in June. As for the differential geometry,
> it is not my field of expertise, but i am definitely in. Besides the
> manifold package, i would like to implement a class for commutative graded
> differential algebras (although it is not really differential geometry, i
> know of some differential geometers that would be happy to have it).

Ricky Farr

Feb 11, 2014, 10:55:57 AM2/11/14
to bug...@googlegroups.com, sage-devel
Hello,

I would like to express my interest in attending.  Do I need to fill out an application of some sort?

Since I'm new to the group, I will share a little about me.  I'm currently a graduate student at the University of North Carolina - Greensboro.  I hope to graduate in December with a PhD in computational mathematics.  My research is focused on Dirichlet L-functions and their derivatives.  At the moment, I'm working on algorithms to compute derivatives of L-functions and their zeros.  I have some code written for Sage.  This code created pictures of "chains" of zeros of high derivatives of the Riemann Zeta function.  These pictures can be found at http://www.uncg.edu/mat/numbertheory/zeta-left.html.  These algorithms are slow and would benefit by calling mpfr and mpc directly.  Note that although mpmath can already compute high derivatives of the Riemann zeta function, these algorithms do not call mpmath and computes derivatives to arbitrary precision.

Also, I would like to implement the incomplete gamma function for the arbitrary precision complex number class.  Although this function is already implemented and can be called using the ComplexNumber class, it seems as though the highest precision I can achieve is double precision.  At the moment, sage calls pari to evaluate the incomplete gamma function.  It would also be nice to implement the upper and lower incomplete gamma functions.  I can also work on bugs related to precision issues.

Thanks,

Rick