This year's bug days

William Stein

Sep 5, 2012, 8:11:31 PM9/5/12
to bugdays, sage-devel
Hi Sage Devs,

Due to generous funding for this purpose, I'm planning to again
organize 4 Bug Days in the next year, and would like to start a thread
to discuss what/when/where/how. Please share any thoughts at all
*you* might have about how best to squeeze value out of the idea of
Bug Days workshops. This could range from places to have them, to
categories of bugs you might want to work on... This will help me in
coming up with a plan for this year.

-- William

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics

Rob Beezer

Sep 5, 2012, 8:47:43 PM9/5/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, bugdays

On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 5:12:14 PM UTC-7, William wrote:
This could range from places to have them

Good news!

This place

http://www.talarisconferencecenter.com/

is very close to UW, but has lots of open space (for being so close to the center of the city).  It would make it more convenient for out-of-towners to travel from the airport and more convenient for locals to participate partially (some days or some hours).  But it would also make it more tempting for locals to go home at night instead of coding until 2 AM (or later).

With some sort of in-house group food service or catering it might have a similar feel as Wallace Falls.  But I've never been there myself, so it might require a visit to see if it is suitable.  John Travis and Jason Aubrey stayed here for the most recent Edu Days when I asked them about it, I think they thought it might work well for a Bug Days.

Rob

Martin Albrecht

Sep 6, 2012, 4:12:08 AM9/6/12
to bug...@googlegroups.com, sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for having them in Seattle proper. I liked Wallace Falls but there's a part
of me who enjoys the fact that Sage/Bug/Dev Days are in Seattle. In any case,
it has to be in the USA, right?
Cheers,
Martin

--
name: Martin Albrecht
_pgp: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8EF0DC99

Volker Braun

Sep 6, 2012, 4:49:38 AM9/6/12
to bug...@googlegroups.com, sage-...@googlegroups.com, martinr...@googlemail.com
I heard that there will probably be another GAP/Singular joint meeting in the spring. Maybe one could turn it into a menage a trois? (sorry couldn't resist) Though the meeting place would then be in Europe, I guess.

For the record, we have plenty of space in Dublin. Just not a lot of spare funds right now.

William Stein

Sep 6, 2012, 9:08:58 AM9/6/12

On Thursday, September 6, 2012, Martin Albrecht <martinr...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> +1 for having them in Seattle proper. I liked Wallace Falls but there's a part
> of me who enjoys the fact that Sage/Bug/Dev Days are in Seattle. In any case,
> it has to be in the USA, right?

No, it could be outside the US, though funding non US people requires more paperwork.

William Stein

Sep 6, 2012, 10:09:59 AM9/6/12
to Minh Nguyen, sage-...@googlegroups.com, bugdays, Alex Ghitza
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Minh Nguyen <mvngu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi William,
>
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:11 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Due to generous funding for this purpose, I'm planning to again
>> organize 4 Bug Days in the next year, and would like to start a thread
>> to discuss what/when/where/how. Please share any thoughts at all
>> *you* might have about how best to squeeze value out of the idea of
>> Bug Days workshops. This could range from places to have them, to
>> categories of bugs you might want to work on... This will help me in
>> coming up with a plan for this year.
>
> Just a general thought: I wish there would be a Bug Days or Sage Days
> in Australia to raise the morale of Sage users and developers down
> under and in the Asia Pacific region in general. If there is ever a
> Sage workshop or bug days over in Australia, I (and perhaps Alex
> Ghitza?)
> would be interested in helping out with organizing the event.
> But I think the trend has been to organize Sage workshops in the
> northern hemisphere and this has proven to be popular...

I'm enthusiastic about there being a Bug Days in Australia, organized
by you and Alex Ghitza. We would need a lot of lead time, due to
extra paperwork since it is not in the US. Also, I might not be able
to personally attend (which is certainly not a show stopper). Alex,
what do you think?

William

> --
> Regards,
> Minh Van Nguyen
> http://bit.ly/mvngu

Alex Ghitza

Sep 6, 2012, 6:30:53 PM9/6/12
to bugdays
Hi,

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:09 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Minh Nguyen <mvngu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:11 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Due to generous funding for this purpose, I'm planning to again
>>> organize 4 Bug Days in the next year, and would like to start a thread
>>> to discuss what/when/where/how. Please share any thoughts at all
>>> *you* might have about how best to squeeze value out of the idea of
>>> Bug Days workshops. This could range from places to have them, to
>>> categories of bugs you might want to work on... This will help me in
>>> coming up with a plan for this year.
>>
>> Just a general thought: I wish there would be a Bug Days or Sage Days
>> in Australia to raise the morale of Sage users and developers down
>> under and in the Asia Pacific region in general. If there is ever a
>> Sage workshop or bug days over in Australia, I (and perhaps Alex
>> Ghitza?)
>> would be interested in helping out with organizing the event.
>> But I think the trend has been to organize Sage workshops in the
>> northern hemisphere and this has proven to be popular...
>
> I'm enthusiastic about there being a Bug Days in Australia, organized
> by you and Alex Ghitza. We would need a lot of lead time, due to
> extra paperwork since it is not in the US. Also, I might not be able
> to personally attend (which is certainly not a show stopper). Alex,
> what do you think?

I would be very happy to host and organize a Bug Days here sometime in
2013. Timing would depend a bit on how my teaching responsibilities
are distributed next year, which is something I don't know yet, but
will hopefully find out soon. The second half of 2013 seems more
likely, though. It would also be good to steer clear of Northern
Hemisphere teaching periods, to give people a chance to attend.

--
Best,
Alex

--
Alex Ghitza -- Lecturer in Mathematics -- The University of Melbourne
http://aghitza.org