Central Ohio Buddhist Updates - July 2019

Seth Josephson

Jul 21, 2019, 7:19:42 PM7/21/19
to BCO google group
Last week's full moon shone in the sky while our Therevada sisters and brothers celebrated Asalha Puja honoring the Buddha's first sermon and the setting of the Dharma wheel in motion for this age. This day also marked the start of Vassa, the three-month "Rains Retreat" when monastics would stop traveling and take shelter to wait out the monsoon rains.

In Central Ohio, our own summer heat has made many of us want to take shelter in our cool houses and not travel. Meanwhile, summer blossoms, such as coneflowers and sunflowers are in full bloom, giving sustenance to bees and birds and beauty to us all without asking anything in return. Below is a selection of news and upcoming events from our local mandala of sanghas.

With metta,

-Seth Josephson, BNCO Board

News:

American Religious Sounds Project goes live: Did you see this article in Tricycle about the American Religious Sounds Project (a joint project of OSU and MSU) <tricycle.org/trikedaily/religious-sounds-project/>? Check out the recordings embedded in the tricycle article including chants at our local Wat Buddha Samakidham and the nice recording of a Michigan Sikh explaining langar (communal meal). Check out the full Sound Project archive at <explore.religioussounds.osu.edu>

Upcoming Events:

Zazenkai with Zen Columbus Sangha, Sunday, August 4th: Zen meditation retreat, 8am - 4pm, at Selby Park in Worthington. A special opportunity to retreat from everyday concerns and a way to remind ourselves to extend our practice into our daily lives. All are welcome for all or any part of the day. Please bring a vegetarian dish to share for lunch, your own cup, bowl, plates, and utensils, and your own cushion and mat for meditation. RSVP to ckassel...@gmail.com is requested. Dana of $20 is requested to cover facility rental--or offer whatever you can.

A Prayer for Compassion, free film screening, Aug 20th, 6:30-9:00pm: Free screening and Q&A with producer, Victoria Moran, with complimentary vegan refreshments and informational material.

Day of Mindfulness w/ Toledo's Flowing Waters Sangha, Aug 24th: "Compassion, the intention and capacity to relieve and transform suffering and lighten sorrows for others and ourselves." Lead by Sister Ocean, an ordained monastic in the Plum Village tradition, this day-long retreat takes place at the WW Knight Nature Preserve at 29530 White Road, Perrysburg, Ohio, from 9:30am-4pm. Donation of $35 suggested. Breakfast munchies and vegetarian lunch provided. RSVP to hydier...@gmail.com by August 9th.

Beginning Meditation Class with Mud Lotus, starting Aug 26th: 8-week Mindfulness Meditation Class, Mondays 7-9 pm May 30-July 18, lead by myself, Seth Josephson, of Mud Lotus Sangha. Sliding scale and free for ex-convicts. More information in flyer attached.

Please send along news or special events to share in future updates <seth.jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Seth J. Josephson, PhD
MLP 8-Week Meditation Class, Fall 2019.pdf