Re: very important issue! Demolition of 2607 and 2625 Hawthorne????

Susan Lindsay

Jul 31, 2012, 11:05:29 AM7/31/12
to Wickstrom, Matt, Commissioner Fritz, Bob Kellett, carib...@yahoo.com, buckma...@googlegroups.com, Nancy Oberschmidt, Christine Yun, Linda, Schwab Mary Ann, Pearce Susan, Steve Russell (steve@steelbridgerealty.com), Peter Stark, ke...@southeastuplift.org, Mike Dee, buckman-sustainability, nancy tannler, Jim Wood, ra...@portlandoregon.gov, Art DeMuro
Thanks, Matt.

This is very disturbing news.

Please also check to see if this is related in any part to the new Limited Tax Exemption Expansion that now provides pubic subsidies as "incentives" for promoting and supporting these types of horrific demolitions of historic and grand structures by private developers. If you remember, this was chief among our concerns of that expanded program in Buckman.

Who are the developers??  What is their company name and contact information?

Susan

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Wickstrom, Matt <Matt.Wi...@portlandoregon.gov> wrote:

Hi Susan,

I checked the city’s permit tracking database and it looks like developers inquired with service bureaus (transportation, sewer and water) earlier this month about requirements for constructing an 80-unit apartment building with 20 parking spaces on the front half of the block between SE 26th and SE 27th Avenues.  No permits (demolition or construction) have been submitted.  Staff notes are included in what is called a Public Works Inquiry and relate to things like the amount of street or sidewalk dedications that would be required, stormwater management requirements and the size of required sewer or water lines.  A rough site plan was included with the inquiry – I’ve attached a copy.  The site plan doesn’t show the existing homes/buildings (except on the existing conditions page) so I’ve got a call into the person who submitted the inquiry to get more information.  I’ll let you know what I hear back.

I know that this is really bad news, but I do appreciate the heads up.

Matt

Matt Wickstrom

SE District Liaison

City of Portland, Bureau of Planning and Sustainability

503-823-2834

matt.wi...@portlandoregon.gov

From: cari beltane <carib...@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Subject: very important issue!
To: buckma...@googlegroups.com

hello,

my name is cari beltane. i rent an apartment at se 27th & madison.  behind my apartment, at 2625 se hawthorne, stands a huge, beautiful home built in 1907, and next to that home, at 2607 se hawthorne, is another spectacular, large historic home, also built in 1907.

it has come to my attention, completely serendipitously, that developers are in the preliminary permitting stage of slating both of these homes for demolishing, so that the underlying land can be used to build a high-density apartment building.  as you might imagine, i am horrified and outraged by this prospect.

the person from whom i obtained this information is a credible source, although i cannot disclose their identity.

i would like to know what we can do as a neighborhood to try to stop this from happening.  for many reasons, this would be a blow to the serenity and character of the immediate neighborhood. not to mention, that the loss of two majestic historical buildings would be so sad.

please let me know what i and others can do to start the process of protesting this plan.  perhaps we could cause the process to be delayed so that the neighborhood can have a say about what happens?

thank you!

cari beltane

Susan Lindsay

--