Feature Request: Selecting Files or Playlist for offline playback

Rayat R

Apr 13, 2024, 7:48:29 PMApr 13
to BubbleUPnP
Hi! Love this app, long time premium user, thanks for it.

I've tried looking up other similar requests and found sorta related ones, but here's my exact proposal:

- At the playlist or file level, perhaps only for supported sources:
- allow marking the track(s) for offline playback,
- such that the tracks are cached and available offline, but when connections return, the latest "version" is loaded instead.
- if it's supported, maybe even do a lookup of file metadata for a last-updated-at check to determine whether to redownload the file, otherwise serving the cached version.

(My use case is that I use this app to test my music production mixes in different sound environments, and use large FLACs that can be hard, impossible or costly to load, yet my mixes are frequently changed, often as a result of these tests)

I got the impression from other requests that this sort of thing might be very difficult, and caching is one of the hardest problems in software etc etc, but was wondering if this specific set of features was any different.

If not, of course that's cool, I appreciate this app and you all the same. Thanks again!

Bubblesoft

Apr 16, 2024, 9:02:17 AMApr 16
to BubbleUPnP
Hi,

BubbleUPnP supports some form of local caching in conjunction with BubbleUPnP Server but it doesn't really fit your use case I think.
The use case I implemented is for accessing music from a home media server when not on the local network (thus using mobile data or not home WiFi),
with optional transcoding and caching to save bandwidth.

Rayat Rahman

Apr 17, 2024, 4:52:39 AMApr 17
to Bubblesoft, BubbleUPnP
As in, I run a home media server that, when I'm home connected to the network, I can stream files, but when I leave the network, those same files can/will be played from a cached version?

If that's the case, that might work for me if I ran a server that was up and running consistently-ish, right? Unfortunately I switch between laptops for music production and other work, which I think would limit the effectiveness of that.

From an implementation standpoint, is streaming from cloud providers like Dropbox or GDrive a significantly different beast?