BubbleUPnP Server - DSM 7

Michael Prager

Jan 4, 2022, 7:14:48 PM1/4/22
to BubbleUPnP
I upgraded my DS414 (with ARM processor) to DSM 7, then found BubbleUPnP Server is not available for that combination. I see you have no plans to generate a DSM 7 package. This is just to say, if you changed your mind, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks for all you do. Happy New Year!

Mike

Bubblesoft

Jan 5, 2022, 8:33:42 AM1/5/22
to BubbleUPnP
Hi,

No plan for a DSM 7 package. In my opinion, Synology entirely dropped the ball breaking compatibility with DSM6 packages.
For making a DSM 7 package, I'd need to buy a new Syno NAS runing DSM 7, just for that purpose...

Michiel Mulder

Feb 23, 2023, 8:00:27 AM2/23/23
to BubbleUPnP
Having to buy a new NAS to develop a DSM 7 package? Your Syno NAS must be really old. Even my 10 year old Synology DS213j is compatible with DSM 7. By the way, you can pick those up used for less than 50 euro. Install the hard drives from your old NAS and you're ready to go.

Your suggestion to run Docker isn't helpful for a lot of Synology users: only the more powerful models are able to run Docker. The Synology play models (like my new DS218play) are not compatible with Docker - and these models are aimed at people who use their NAS for streaming. Among those there will be a lot of (potential) Bubble Up users I'd assume. I have a lifetime Bubble Up license but I feel left in the cold by your strategy.

Richard

Feb 23, 2023, 5:07:24 PM2/23/23
to BubbleUPnP

I complete get were you’re coming from @Michael Prager – I have a DS118 which also isn’t compatible with Docker and I’ve opted to stay with DSM 6 for the sole reason that I want the NAS to run Bubble UPnP Server.  Your words though are a tad harsh - Bubblegum has done an amazing job on developing the app and I reckon its completely his call what becomes of it.  You could always do what I’ve done and revert back to DSM 6, or alternatively stick Bubble on another device that can run it – some routers can apparently handle it as can a Raspberry PI 2…

Bubblesoft

Feb 25, 2023, 7:38:00 AM2/25/23
to BubbleUPnP
Hi,

Buying a NAS is actually not the problem.
For the little story, I had recently a DS118j (on DSM6) until its power plug decided to melt :/

It's more of being pissed by Synology that made existing DSM6 packages incompatible on DSM7 for no good reason.
And the DSM6 package was initially contributed by a user, I did not make them (although made some easy minor tweaks to it along the years).

I may buy a new Syno NAS (to replace that old DS118j that was unbearably slow anyway), so if I do, I will look at what it takes
to convert the existing package to DSM7. But no promises.
I'm not too fond of manufacturer specific packages as there are quite a bit of a time sink. It is unfortunate that Docker is not 100% universal,
although I think it can be unofficially installed on most Syno ARM-based NASes.

Michael Prager

Feb 25, 2023, 12:48:18 PM2/25/23
to BubbleUPnP
@Richard -- The harsh words weren't in my post. Perhaps you meant another user?

As it happens, I replaced my DS414 last year with a DS1522 and installed BubbleUPnP Server as a Docker package.  It was not difficult. In the interim, I ran BubbleUPnP Server on my Windows PC. It worked fine, of course, other than my occasionally forgetting to turn the PC on.

I second your remarks, that "Bubblegum has done an amazing job on developing the app and I reckon it's completely his call what becomes of it." I'd say, the same goes for the DNLA client, which I licensed in 2013 and have been using since.

Cheers!