Playback pauses after 10 minutes

Sven Schaefer

May 23, 2024, 9:27:31 AMMay 23
to BubbleUPnP
I'm casting music from my local DLNA-Library on my NAS to my Chromecast (CCwGTV) controlled by BubbleUPNP on my Pixel 6a.

Whenever I start casting any playlist the playback is paused after exactly 10 minutes.
After I continue playback once there are no more interruptions.

I have no idea, what's going on. Do you?

Sven Schaefer

May 24, 2024, 6:37:06 AMMay 24
to BubbleUPnP
Further investigation shows, this (pause after 10 minutes) only happens after the BubbleUPNP-Chromecast-app is launched.

Bubblesoft

May 24, 2024, 8:11:19 AMMay 24
to BubbleUPnP
Hi,

Thank you for your interest in BubbleUPnP.

A few questions:

- is your BubbleUPnP licensed ? When you play music to the CCwGTV does the Now Playing tab has the mention "Transcoding".
- Is it that after 10 mins you are playing music to the CCwGTV, the TV
reverts to the home screen ? Or does it revert to the BubbleUPnP logo (on a black screen)? Or that music is just paused ?
- does it always happen exactly at 10 mins ?

Sven Schaefer

May 24, 2024, 11:50:02 AMMay 24
to BubbleUPnP
Thank you for your attention Bubblesoft :)

it seems I stumbled upon a solution or at least a workaround while researching the answers to your questions.

1. Yes, it is licensed. No "transcoding" message.
2. the CCwGTV starts the sceensaver/ambient mode after 10 minutes. I never realized this because my screen is always off when casting audio.
3. It always happens after exactly 10 minutes.

I activated "developer Tools" on CCwGTV. Now I was able to disable the "Ambient Mode". Lo and behold, the pausing 10 minutes after launching the BubbleUPNP-App on Chromecast has not happened again. Verified by switching back and forth.

On other occasions I had the impression, that casting to the CCwGTV is somehow different from running an installed app.
The state of the CCwGTV is not "playing" when casting to a "not installed" like the BubbleUPNP app.

Bubblesoft

May 25, 2024, 6:47:45 AMMay 25
to BubbleUPnP
Hi,

Good finding about Ambient Mode getting in the way. I think it only kicks in if playing music but I will have to check.
There is no way (that I know of) for the BubbleUPnP receiver running on the CCwGTV to disable ambient mode while it is playing music.
The only thing I can do is to ad a warning in the app with instructions about how to disable it.

Sven Schaefer

May 27, 2024, 5:20:41 AMMay 27
to BubbleUPnP
By the way, I discovered the same behavior with auto-off on Chromcast a while back.
Even though I was casting music, the Chromecast just turned of after xx minutes.

Also when casting from Youtube-music. So I guess this is a deficiency of Chromecast and there is not much you can do.

Anyway, I am able to play uninterrupted music again for the first time in years , so I'm happy.

Bubblesoft

May 30, 2024, 10:24:59 AMMay 30
to BubbleUPnP
Yes, I have also seen the auto-off kicking in in after a while.
But according to my testing, both the 10 mins and the auto-off thing (which are separate) only trigger when playing music.

Bubblesoft

May 30, 2024, 10:25:42 AMMay 30
to BubbleUPnP
Next app update add a one-time warning dialog about it, when playing music.