Supposedly natively supported Wav stream being decoded to PCM

Richard

Jan 5, 2022, 8:20:51 AM1/5/22
to BubbleUPnP
Hi, I’m using a Yamaha WXA 50 which supposedly can handle both wav and lpcm formats, with Minimserver to decode radio streams to wav.  If I configure Bubble UPnP Server to decode to PCM and select ‘Audio formats not natively supported by renderer + constraints below’ and then play one of these radio streams the output is as PCM/L16.  I’m a bit mystified as to why this is occurring – in the case of my Yamaha WXA 50 is this intended behaviour?

Bubblesoft

Jan 5, 2022, 8:30:51 AM1/5/22
to BubbleUPnP
Hi,

The decoding to PCM (which does cause of loss of audio quality) is likely caused by the radio stream being in SHOUTcast format which not all renderers are able to play.
L16 is similar to WAV but preferred for streams of unknown length such as radio streams.

Richard

Jan 5, 2022, 12:24:40 PM1/5/22
to BubbleUPnP
Hi, many thanks for your prompt reply.  Sorry if I wasn't clear in terms of how I phrased my question.  I meant Minimserver was initially decoding the radio stream to wav, which is natively supported by my renderer,  but Bubble UPnP Server was then deciding this wav stream to PCM when I had selected  'Audio formats not natively supported by renderer + constraints below’.  I hope that makes better sense -  I'm a bit stumped why this should occur.  No SHOUTcast radio streams are involved

Bubblesoft

Jan 5, 2022, 12:43:43 PM1/5/22
to BubbleUPnP
Can you go into Android BubbleUPnP, Now Playing tab, tap floating cast button, 3 dot menu on your Yamaha > Info.
Does the "Audio" section lists "WAV" ?
That list of supported formats is built from the media mime-types the renderer declares to support.
If WAV is not listed but L16 is, that's why BubbleUPnP Server do the WAV -> L16 conversion (which does not incur a loss in audio quality).
And it is very well possible that this Yamaha does not declare supporting WAV while it does in reality.

Richard

Feb 5, 2022, 10:37:23 AM2/5/22
to BubbleUPnP
Apologies for being slow in getting back to you.  Android BubbleUPnP is great, I really like it.  It lists both L16 and WAV (as well as several other formats) for the Yamaha.  I've done further testing and I've been unable to replicate what I felt was occurring before.  Sorry therefore for flagging this, and many thanks for all your support.