Chromecast not working with DLNA

192 views
Skip to first unread message

Mark Kolmar

unread,
Dec 11, 2021, 1:32:57 PM12/11/21
to BubbleUPnP
Last I tried, which was a few weeks ago, I was able to use either BubbleUPnP on Android or JRiver Media Center (sometimes controlled by JRemote2) to play on Chromecast. Yesterday, I noticed that the DLNA renderer was no longer detected. And in fact, BubbleUPnP server (on the same Windows PC as JRiver MC) for some reason no longer had the checkbox checked for a DLNA renderer for that device. Check the box, and the renderer is detected.

However, neither the BubbleUPnP app on Android or JRiver can play a track using DLNA anymore. Both act like they are trying to play, but they give up after 5-7 seconds, possibly with 1-2 retries (display jumps back to 0:00), or attempting further tracks on the playlist.

This would be consistent with Chromecast audio unable to connect, as the documentation says. But I can reach the web interface on ports 58050 & 58051 from another PC because the firewall rule is enabled, and cannot if the rule is disabled. I see no other blocks/filters on the Chromecast audio compared to that other PC, all on the same network. This seems like a DLNA problem between the Chromecast and BubbleUPnP server. 

Chromecast is able to stream from the JRiver media server, *cast* from JRemote2 (which crashes JRemote2 but does play...).

JRiver (directly or through JRemote2) cannot control the DLNA renderer for the Chromecast. Beeps but no playback.

JRiver is able to control the DLNA renderer on BubbleUPnP Android to play on the phone.

BubbleUPnP app can play to the "Chromecast audio" device but not "Chromecast audio (DLNA)".

Similarly, I can cast from an app such as Podcast Addict. So the Chromecast is working at that level.

Any ideas?

Could any of this be happening because the internet is through the first router, and the LAN for all the above devices is behind a 2nd router? Everything has worked fine (to a point) previously under the same setup. No router settings have changed on either router.

Worth mentioning, BubbleUPnP Server detects a different Chromecast w/ Google TV device, nothing is able to cast to it successfully anymore. TV apps on the CC such as HBO Max and Amazon Prime Video have broken, reporting connection issues. Many apps continue to work fine. Connectivity seems normal and fast. All the above have worked recently with the same setup.

I may test these devices on the 1st router's LAN, if something is going on that needs to pass through the routers in a way I do not understand, or a recent update on the Chromecast devices or BubbleUPnP has changed something.

--Mark

Bubblesoft

unread,
Dec 12, 2021, 7:38:10 AM12/12/21
to BubbleUPnP
This issue is caused by a recent Chromecast Audio firmware update.

I will have a fix for it in an update to BubbleUPnP Server very soon.

Bubblesoft

unread,
Dec 12, 2021, 12:55:46 PM12/12/21
to BubbleUPnP

The fix is available in BubbleUPnP Server 0.9-update42.
To update, go into the web configuration on BubbleUPnP Server, Settings tab, Update tab, then "Check for update".
Message has been deleted

MarkF274

unread,
Dec 12, 2021, 5:07:58 PM12/12/21
to BubbleUPnP
Wow.  Thanks for this post!  I have been struggling with this issue for the last several days.  JRiver MC 28 +  BubbleUPnPServer (0.9-update41) + JRemote2 + original Chromecast Audio dongles worked perfectly for the last month, until chromecast fell apart completely a few days ago.  I tried everything imaginable to fix it, many many times over - nothing helped. 

I just downloaded / installed BubbleUPnP Server 0.9-update42.  Worked first time out of the box.

Hubert J. Farnsworth

unread,
Feb 20, 2022, 1:28:00 PMFeb 20
to BubbleUPnP
It still doesn't work for me after update 42 (uninstalled/reinstalled Google Home app, rebooted all my Chromecast audio and Bubble Server). All is fine when casting to 1 device from Bubble app, but no longer works when I cast to 2 or more. It's very frustrating.

Bubblesoft

unread,
Feb 21, 2022, 5:23:07 AMFeb 21
to BubbleUPnP
There's a bug in current version of BubbleUPnP (3.6.2) where playing a to Chromecast Audio group (the real thing not wrapped by BubbleUPnP Server)  will not play at all.
This is a regression that will be fixed in next app update soon.
However, playing to a Chromecast Audio group wrapped as a DLNA renderer by BubbleUPnP Server update42 should still work (I tested it and it does).
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages