A billion dollars to fail students.

Wade Tillett

Sep 20, 2009, 9:19:44 PM9/20/09
to bubbl...@googlegroups.com
Since 1996, CPS has flunked hundreds of thousands of students, with a
total actual cost of about $1.2 billion, and with unimaginable fallout
costs to society. Everyone loses out when we tell students they are
failures. Why does CPS continue to spend $100 million a year on a policy
that annually hurts 10,000 children academically and emotionally? There
are real interventions that could help.

And who are they failing?
African-Americans constitute 48% of the CPS student population in 3rd,
6th and 8th grades, but 68% of those required to attend summer school,
and 74% of those retained.

For graphs and links see:
http://bubbleover.net/2009/08/who-is-cps-failing/

Check out PURE's excellent report to Ron Huberman.
http://www.substancenews.net/articles.php?page=873&section=Article

Also, based on FOIA requests, we have found that:

CPS erroneously sent thousands to summer school in 2008 because their
policy is based on test scores, and the test scores were wrong.

CPS' cutoff point for retention has no relation to the state's
assessment categories. In other words, you can fail CPS and pass the
state exam that CPS bases your failure on.

See bubbleover.net for more.

Sincerely,
Wade

P.S. Apologies for all the spam to the list. I have changed the group
policies so hopefully no more will get through.

kare...@yahoo.com

Sep 20, 2009, 9:20:06 PM9/20/09
to bubbl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Wade. More info and real data are always needed to inform our conversations.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Sep 20, 2009, 9:20:37 PM9/20/09
to bubbl...@googlegroups.com
It's on channel 2