The CC2564MODA Bluetooth device not powering on

Muhammad Inam

Aug 11, 2022, 3:49:36 PM8/11/22
to btstack-dev
After providing the Bluetooth power cycle the device is not powering on and it also discards the signal 32.786kHz after the level shifter.

I need help to just power on the Bluetooth device and communicate with it through UART and the microcontroller I am using is stm32g473vct6.

pholat

Aug 12, 2022, 1:58:44 AM8/12/22
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi, did you select and load proper microcode for that device?

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022, 9:49 PM Muhammad Inam <muhammad...@gmail.com> wrote:
After providing the Bluetooth power cycle the device is not powering on and it also discards the signal 32.786kHz after the level shifter.

I need help to just power on the Bluetooth device and communicate with it through UART and the microcontroller I am using is stm32g473vct6.

Muhammad Inam

Aug 12, 2022, 2:10:21 AM8/12/22
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi, pohalt thanks for the reply.
  for the time being, I just want to power on the Bluetooth device for this I keep the shutdown pin in power down mode and scan the RTS pin of the Bluetooth device but the RTS pin is not getting low.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "btstack-dev" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/btstack-dev/CAKZJnKzs7DLnYQRRS63ZBJbc69ej1HrJKMCoqK6Va1_mJQjtyg%40mail.gmail.com.

pholat

Aug 12, 2022, 7:10:05 AM8/12/22
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
My pleasure. Are you sure that power cycle was done properly? I would advice checking with logic analyzer. Generally speaking it takes a few cycles till the chip signals that it's ready, but other than that I had none issues with it.
You can find proper power up diagram in the cc256 datasheet

Muhammad Inam

Aug 12, 2022, 9:49:09 AM8/12/22
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi, pohalt thanks for the reply.
we checked out that the Bluetooth device slow_clok_pin is short with GND I think that is why it's not taking 32.786kHz clock. you can see in the screen shot maybe the slow_clk_pin is short with GND which is why it is dropping the clock signal we have already confirmed it with a multimeter it is short.

d480518c-d384-45a6-ab48-e03532d78cee.png

Muhammad Inam

Aug 10, 2023, 4:10:45 AM8/10/23
to btstack-dev
Hi,
After applying power on sequence on cc2564moda Bluetooth the bt_rts pin is not getting low in the required time according to the datasheet and not powering on means not visible to the mobile bleutooth during scanning.
I am trying to say that if the bt_rts pin got low after 100ms of the bt_shutdn pin high so it will be visible on Bluetooth mobile application or other devices?

Muhammad Inam

Aug 10, 2023, 4:28:27 AM8/10/23
to btstack-dev
and the bt_rts pin decreased from 3.3v to 1.5v something is there any problem with the rts_pin having 1.5v after powering on the bluethroat?

Matthias Ringwald

Aug 10, 2023, 4:44:00 AM8/10/23
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Muhammad

The IO pins on the CC256x have 1.8V logic level. In your schematic, you're using a bi-direction level-shifter. You could cut the line between CC2564 and the level shifter and check the level on the BT-RTS directly.
Also, shutdown should first go to low and then high again and the slow clock should provide 32.768 kHz.

Please try to get it working with TI's dev kits on a desktop computer and then compare to your embedded design.

As the CC2564C is unlikely to get another revision, we would recommend to use the newer Infineon CYW20704 instead. There's a nice dev kit from Laird Connectivity DVK-BT860 to get started.

Cheers
Matthias
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/btstack-dev/e44a55d2-a220-460e-9e04-9978cd0bc03cn%40googlegroups.com.

Muhammad Inam

Aug 10, 2023, 6:00:01 AM8/10/23
to btstack-dev
Hi, Matthias Ringwald

if in case if the BT_RTS pin got low after 100ms of normal powering of Bluetooth then it will be visible to other devices
 or I will send some HCI commands to the Bluetooth IC for visibility.

Matthias Ringwald

Aug 15, 2023, 4:21:19 PM8/15/23
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Muhammad

After powering up, BT_RTS should go low. If yes, the stack and your application can start up and it might become visible to others (if the applications wants that).
if not, something with the hardware setup is not working and the stack cannot start up.

Good luck
Matthias
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/btstack-dev/a4dd2f23-3833-4c91-98c1-64ec681ac86bn%40googlegroups.com.

Muhammad Inam

Aug 16, 2023, 4:09:44 AM8/16/23
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthias Ringwald

Thanks for the reply it helps a lot my last question is You mention to me in the previous mail that "if the application wants that" what does it mean and can I modify the bt_stack stm32f4-des example for my custom design (stm32g473vct3 and  CC2564MODA)?

Matthias Ringwald

Aug 20, 2023, 5:44:30 AM8/20/23
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Muhammad

If you compile the project in port/stm32-f4discovery-cc256x, it will build all our examples - see documentation https://bluekitchen-gmbh.com/btstack/
Most of them make the device discoverable over Classic and/or LE.

You could get the dev kits we've used in this port to have a good start with our stack on an embedded system and a reference for your own design.
We've documented the steps needed to port the stack for this setup here: https://bluekitchen-gmbh.com/btstack-port-for-stm32-f4-discovery-board-with-cc256x/

For a commercial project, feel free to contact us at con...@bluekitchen-gmbh.com <mailto:con...@bluekitchen-gmbh.com>

Cheers
Matthias