ESP32 A2DP Codecs

Alex

Jan 6, 2022, 10:35:31 AM1/6/22
to btstack-dev
Can I use additional codecs such as LDAC on ESP32?

Matthias Ringwald

Jan 6, 2022, 10:42:56 AM1/6/22
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex

First off, for other codec than SBC, you'll probably need a license from the patent holder to use it in a commercial product. Because of this, our examples only use SBC.

However, if you check out the test/pts folder, the avdtp_sink_test.c also supports LDAC, AAC, and APTX via different open-source libraries and runs on Mac/Linux with an USB Bluetooth dongle.

In theory, you could use them on the ES32 as well. The question probably will be if the codecs, which have been developed for desktop computers, run fast enough on the ESP32. They for sure use float calculation.

if you manage to compile them for the ESP32, please let us know and also if that's fast enough.

Best
Matthias