Cannot Connect to HID Device

David Lee

Aug 18, 2022, 3:51:14 PM8/18/22
to btstack-dev
Hello,

I have successfully demonstrated the JBL Click HID device working with the
hids_client btstack example. Thanks for your help with that device.

I am now attempting to add support for another HID device, called "Chubby Buttons". I was hoping to be able to reuse the same example out of the box for this second HID device, but it is not yet working. I am able to browse the gatt services and initiate a connection, but I have not been able to complete a connection with the HID device from btstack.

I have however been able to pair with my Android device.

Can you provide any guidance on what to try differently to connect to the Chubby Buttons HID device? Please find my HCI log from btstack as well as an HCI log from a successful connection to an Android device.
https://nextcloud.ara.com/nextcloud/index.php/s/GDzxXtZ2bBFz32z

Thanks,
David Lee

Matthias Ringwald

Aug 19, 2022, 1:00:29 PM8/19/22
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi David

That's an easy one. In the BTstack log, you can see that after you try to create a connection, nothing happens. There reason is simple: the Chubby Button uses a Random Address, but your connect request specifies a Public Address.
Please use the address type you can get from the advertising report.

Cheers
Matthias

David Lee

Aug 22, 2022, 9:07:44 AM8/22/22
to btstack-dev
Matthias,

Ah yes, that was an easy one! Thanks for pointing that out, I am now receiving HID reports from this device as expected.

Thank you!
David Lee