HSP/HFP on ESP32 finally working

Matthias Ringwald

Jul 8, 2021, 9:35:21 AM7/8/21
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi there

Just a quick heads up: Espressif finally has fixed their SCO Flow Control implementation in the Bluetooth Controller, which makes SCO-over-HCI working and allows to use HSP/HFP on the ESP32.
I don't know in which version contains the fix for this, but I've verified that it works with the v4.3 release.

Cheers
Matthias

Nikolas

Oct 13, 2021, 4:25:49 AM10/13/21
to btstack-dev
Hi,

Do you know if the esp32 can be used with an external MCU+BTStack connected to the UART using the factory esp32 firmware (SCO fix one)?

Which the default uart to use on esp32?

Matthias Ringwald

Oct 13, 2021, 4:54:20 AM10/13/21
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nikolas

As far as I know, the ESP32 can be used as a standalone Bluetooth Controller. There's an option in the menu config system to enable this feature, one of the UARTs then acts as a Bluetooth HCI UART.
I don't know if SCO packets are forwarded over that UART and if there are any issues with sending SCO packets (like with many other Controller). I also don't know what image is installed by factory...

I think this project refers to this mode: https://github.com/espressif/esp-hosted/blob/master/docs/Linux_based_host/UART_setup.md

Best
Matthias