Re: Next MACB Meeting

Colin Leath

Apr 13, 2015, 5:03:58 PM4/13/15
to Sayers, Chris C., Ann Peterson, Ann Sakuma, Asia Yeary, Chad Taniguchi, Heidi Hansen-Smith, Janice Marsters, John Goody (E-mail), Milner, Yamato, Pattie Dunn, Rich Sullivan (E-mail), Tom Fee, Wayson Kobelansky, Aaron Landry, Adam Lampley, Alan Fujimori, Ambika Castle, Anela Lani Grace, Anjali Puri, Anna Leonardo, Aydee Zielke, Ben Madden, Ben Trevino, Benjamin Trevino, BobMon, Brendan Blume, Brendon Hanna, Brian Canevari, byk project, Carla Buscaglia, Caterine Picardo, Cathleen Matsushima, Chad Taniguchi, Chris Blumenstetter, Chris Dowling, Chris Ponsar, Christine Burton, Cora Speck, Dale Hoffmann, Dana Arakawa, Daniel Alexander, Daniel Alexander, Daniel Alexander, David Aquino, David Cheever, David Hitzl, David Nash, Denise DeJoseph, Doorae Shin, Doug Fetterly, Edward Cox, Edward Huls, Elizabeth Fischer, Elliot Van Wie, Espiau, Renee, Flora Ling, Frank Kimitch, Gwen Sinclair, Harold Ebeling, Jared Washkowitz, Jason Perreira, Jason Smith, Jennifer Milam, Jeri El-Swaify, Jim Darlow, John Climaldi, John Henderson, Justine Espiritu, Kari Benes, Katie Richards, Keola Childs, Kevin Kinvig, Lani Michael, Leif Kohler, Linda Sjogren, Lori McCarney, Maaza Mekuria, Maggie McCain, Mark Takamura, Michael Hays, Michael Laughlin, Michael Rivera, Michelle Simmons, Nalani Aki, Nancy Miller, Natalie Iwasa, Nick Blank, Nick Carlomany, Nicole Daoang, Nicole Hori, Nikki Love, Patricia Johnson, Paul Migliorato, Rachel Pfeffer, Ray Tabata, Riki Nakamoto, RJ Martin, Robert Belgred, Robert Salloom, Robyn Petterson, Rudy Lopez, Sarah Shelton, Sau Hsu, Scott Hall, Senator Espero, Shane Neal, Shoko Paul, Soha and Sentwali Copeland, Susan Anderson, Suzanne Westerly, Tara Lucas, Tony Hall, Troy Vickrey, Velasco, Nicole, Vincent Ricafort, William Higgins, Yamato Milner, Yuhei Miyake, Yuko Chiba, btr...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Here is a report/proposal from the Bike Theft Reduction Team, so that you can consider the contents prior to the meeting tomorrow:
Or
It should be possible to comment directly in the document, or you can always post to the Bike Theft Reduction Team email list:

Or

Perhaps we can avoid printing it out and just look at it on our phones and computers.

See some of you tomorrow!

Colin

On 7 April 2015 at 13:51, Sayers, Chris C. <csa...@honolulu.gov> wrote:

Dear Committee Members and Advocates:

The next Mayor’s Advisory Committee on Bicycling meeting is Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at noon in the Fasi Municipal Building.  The agenda and minutes are attached.  Hope to see you there.

Aloha, Chris

Chris Sayers

Bicycle Coordinator

Department of Transportation Services

City and County of Honolulu

808 768-8335

Wayson Kobelansky

Apr 14, 2015, 12:02:33 AM4/14/15
to Colin Leath, Sayers, Chris C., Ann Peterson, Ann Sakuma, Asia Yeary, Chad Taniguchi, Heidi Hansen-Smith, Janice Marsters, John Goody (E-mail), Milner, Yamato, Pattie Dunn, Rich Sullivan (E-mail), Tom Fee, Aaron Landry, Adam Lampley, Alan Fujimori, Ambika Castle, Anela Lani Grace, Anjali Puri, Anna Leonardo, Aydee Zielke, Ben Madden, Ben Trevino, Benjamin Trevino, BobMon, Brendan Blume, Brendon Hanna, Brian Canevari, byk project, Carla Buscaglia, Caterine Picardo, Cathleen Matsushima, Chad Taniguchi, Chris Blumenstetter, Chris Dowling, Chris Ponsar, Christine Burton, Cora Speck, Dale Hoffmann, Dana Arakawa, Daniel Alexander, Daniel Alexander, Daniel Alexander, David Aquino, David Cheever, David Hitzl, David Nash, Denise DeJoseph, Doorae Shin, Doug Fetterly, Edward Cox, Edward Huls, Elizabeth Fischer, Elliot Van Wie, Espiau, Renee, Flora Ling, Frank Kimitch, Gwen Sinclair, Harold Ebeling, Jared Washkowitz, Jason Perreira, Jason Smith, Jennifer Milam, Jeri El-Swaify, Jim Darlow, John Climaldi, John Henderson, Justine Espiritu, Kari Benes, Katie Richards, Keola Childs, Kevin Kinvig, Lani Michael, Leif Kohler, Linda Sjogren, Lori McCarney, Maaza Mekuria, Maggie McCain, Mark Takamura, Michael Hays, Michael Laughlin, Michael Rivera, Michelle Simmons, Nalani Aki, Nancy Miller, Natalie Iwasa, Nick Blank, Nick Carlomany, Nicole Daoang, Nicole Hori, Nikki Love, Patricia Johnson, Paul Migliorato, Rachel Pfeffer, Ray Tabata, Riki Nakamoto, RJ Martin, Robert Belgred, Robert Salloom, Robyn Petterson, Rudy Lopez, Sarah Shelton, Sau Hsu, Scott Hall, Senator Espero, Shane Neal, Shoko Paul, Soha and Sentwali Copeland, Susan Anderson, Suzanne Westerly, Tara Lucas, Tony Hall, Troy Vickrey, Velasco, Nicole, Vincent Ricafort, William Higgins, Yamato Milner, Yuhei Miyake, Yuko Chiba, btr...@googlegroups.com
Aloha All:

Good information and stats.  Maybe we should have HPD weigh
in on this also.  16% of stolen bikes returned to owners is not a very good percentage. The thieves are good and way ahead of the game.

Aloha,

Wayson

Sent from my iPhone

Edward Huls

Apr 17, 2015, 1:04:12 AM4/17/15
to Wayson Kobelansky, Yin Yang, Chris Sayers, Milner, Yamato, Colin Leath, Mayor Kirk Caldwell, Mike Formby
You're so very right Wayson, 16% totally sucks !   And it is not until just recently, after two new young people chose to become a part of the MACB and the bicycle movement here in Honolulu, and in Hawaii, Soha & Sentwali, that pro-active measures are now being initiated !

And only because:
> I ran into both Soha & Sentwali late one night in front of the new Walgreen's on Beretania and we shared with one another, "things bicycle".
> I commented on their very cool Cannodale bikes and Sentwali shared with me that he had just completed building, from scratch, the beautiful Cannondale that he gifted to his wife Soha.
> that beautiful new, handcrafted Cannondale was then stolen from Soha.
> it was that larcenous deed that drove them both to attend a meeting of the MACB; something I had been encouraging them to do for some time.
> at that meeting the seed was planted and began germinating ~ and Soha and Sentwali formally conceived and initiated their new subcommittee:  the "BTPT - Bicycle Theft Prevention Team".
> some concerned and "serious players" (about 10 of us) showed-up on a Sunday afternoon at the "Fresh Cafe" on Queen St. at the first BTPT subcommittee meeting (you know who you are: Yamato, Val, Daniel, Tony, Colin, and the rest).

The end result is that some serious "pro-active" measures and initiatives are now actually taking place because of the good research work that Soha, Sentwali, and Colin have done.  80 bicycles are stolen in London, England each and every day !  The documentary: "Gone in 60 Seconds" is an important one and I encourage all of you to watch it.  It was circulated to all of you weeks ago.

I'll do whatever I am able to help this subcommittee to get the HPD, the City of Honolulu, the State of Hawaii, the MACB, and HBL involved in helping to curb bicycle theft in Honolulu and in Hawaii ~ this as well as encouraging more and more people in Hawaii to enjoy the healthy benefits of riding a bicycle, either for exercise and recreation, and/or as a very practical alternative for commuting to and from one's workplace...

Cheers,
~Edward~

Edward Huls
Mo'PoB - More People on Bikes
~for a healthier & happier People, and a healthier planet Earth~
Hawaii Fun Promotions
Ph #(808)227-2765
Email:  hawaiifun...@gmail.com

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 9:10 AM, Wayson Kobelansky <wko...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:
Aloha Colin:

Mahalo to you and Soha for sharing your research and views at our last MACB meeting.  I agree that the 16% return rate on stolen bicycles is pretty dismal and should be much better. Also whether registering your bicycle is a helpful tool in removing your bike. I sense in Hawaii that HPD would much rather spend time apprehending harden criminals then recovering a stolen bicycle or the petty thief. In the end it all comes down to prevention.  What are we doing individually or collectively to deter bicycle thief here in Hawaii and what is in place to increase the recovery rate of stolen bicycles. Hopefully the committee through our discernment can come to some consensus on how to best improve our present situation.

Aloha,

Wayson W. Kobelansky
Appointed Member,  Mayor's Advisory Committee on Bicycling