next steps- picking a new repo, selecting new project admins

Jonathan Dugan

Jun 13, 2010, 12:36:06 PM6/13/10

Richard's email made his position pretty clear: he's no longer leading
the project, but wants BTPD to continue elsewhere, and is willing to
participate.

I'm only recently part of this list, but looking back at the code, and
the release history, I think Richard has done a stellar job creating
and maintaining a useful service for many years. Thanks and hearty
congrats to Richard for his years of hard work are in order.

*Thank you!*

Verbiage on "fork" vs. "non-fork" (seems to me) is not an issue here.
The code is where it is (0.15 release, and a few additions in git). It
needs a new home, and a new set of admins. It's not rocket science.

As for the existing domain and repo, meh, they are non-standard, and
still depend on Richard. So, that doesn't work. Best case we just put
up a message, and forward users to the new project home and repo.

To move forward, we first need 2 things:

(1) A new repository. Since the code is already in git, I'd strongly
suggest GitHub. Ideally we can save the revision history the project
already has. It has a lot of interested developers, and great tools
for exactly this kind of project. Since mid 2009, they have
integrated issue tracking built in, and mailing lists, etc.

(2) A group of at least 3 project admins who are willing to put in the
work (time and technical effort) to review patches, write tests, build
and clearly explain development milestones and steer progress of the
project to meet their needs and the needs of the current userbase.

Stepping up as an admin means "I'm willing to take responsibility."

Admin'ing an open source project can be a *lot* of work, and can be
thankless at times, as mostly all you get are a steady stream of
complaints and issues. The pay sucks: it's zero, usually.

While we still have this list:

Who wants to step up (self select) as admins for BTPD moving forward?
Please send your name and interest to this list, and any experience you
have had in the past managing open source projects, and with BTPD.

Regards,
Jonathan

--

Jonathan Dugan, PhD
Founder, ClearBits

Richard Nyberg

Jun 13, 2010, 12:57:59 PM6/13/10
Thanks Jonathan! This is exactly my position. You've managed to
sum things up way better than I in the message I've been trying
to write for half an hour. :)

Regards,
-Richard

Nicholas Marriott

Jun 13, 2010, 1:30:53 PM6/13/10
Ah but verbiage on abstract points is for entertainment value :-).

I'd like to say thanks to Richard as well.

I think looking for three people may be pushing it, but I will get
involved time permitting. I'm willing to review code but I'm reluctant
to take on more than that right now.

I think the primary need now is for one person who can take it over,
move to a new home, merge the existing diffs and be prepared to accept
new ones, and perhaps do a new release. That would be a great start.

Once someone is able to accept patches, where to go next can be
discussed, if anyone has concrete ideas and is going to write some code.

GitHub is fine by me, but I don't really care. Let whoever is going to
do the work decide where to move it.

Florian Stinglmayr

Jun 16, 2010, 1:41:48 AM6/16/10
Hello List,

I sadly don't have the time on my hands to run another FOSS project at
the moment. But I'd gladly support the project further by providing a
download mirror, patches, documentation and perhaps bigger code
contributions here and there.

Regards,
Florian

Cesare Falco

Jul 12, 2010, 5:57:56 AM7/12/10
Hi folks,

any news about project move?

Cesare.

Marq Schneider

Jul 12, 2010, 2:23:59 PM7/12/10
Hi all,

I have given this some serious thought and have decided that I'm
willing to step up here and take the reins, if I can get everyone's
approval. I feel inexperienced with leading an open source project,
so I would like to fully disclose my experience here:
2005-2007: Submitted a few patches to the pidgin project (then gaim)
2008: Worked Google Summer of Code for pidgin (developing enhancements
to finch, the terminal-based IM client)
2009-present: Submitted patches here and there for various projects:
WxHexEditor [0], KiCad [1], btpd [2], cope [3], ack [4]

I am a regular btpd user. My experience with the code base is lacking
though. I think I've only submitted a couple patches.

I use git regularly for my own personally projects, so I have some
experience with it. However, my remote and cooperative usage of it
has been limited to my brief work with 'cope' and 'ack' using GitHub
and a couple projects with a small group.

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:36, Jonathan Dugan <jonathan at clearbits.net> wrote:
<snip>

> To move forward, we first need 2 things:
>

> (1) A new repository. ?Since the code is already in git, I'd strongly
> suggest GitHub. ?Ideally we can save the revision history the project

> already has. It has a lot of interested developers, and great tools

> for exactly this kind of project. ?Since mid 2009, they have

> integrated issue tracking built in, and mailing lists, etc.

For practice/fun/starters, I have started a new project under GitHub
appropriately named "btpd" [5]. I have imported Richard's git
repository into it, preserving its history. If everyone who has
contributed here agrees that this is the way to go, we can proceed
with the next steps. I did not want to get too carried away if there
were some details that I missed.
If acceptable, these are the next steps I want to take:
1. Incorporating pending patches
2. Adding more collaborators (all of you who are looking to regularly
contribute)
3. Ironing out a release plan
4. Testing!
5-100. Whatever else i missed.

> (2) A group of at least 3 project admins who are willing to put in the
> work (time and technical effort) to review patches, write tests, build
> and clearly explain development milestones and steer progress of the
> project to meet their needs and the needs of the current userbase.

I'm willing to volunteer myself for these duties, with all of your permission.

> Stepping up as an admin means "I'm willing to take responsibility."
>
> Admin'ing an open source project can be a *lot* of work, and can be
> thankless at times, as mostly all you get are a steady stream of

> complaints and issues. ?The pay sucks: it's zero, usually.

I'm only willing to do this if you double that pay!

Seriously though, if you have any questions, comments, or doubts,
please send them my way or to the list. Also, if you want to chat
about this in an informal setting, I'm idling in #btpd on
irc.freenode.net . Let's get this rolling again.

-Marq Schneider

[0] http://wxhexeditor.sourceforge.net/
[1] http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/
[2] http://www.murmeldjur.se/btpd/
[3] http://github.com/cytzol/cope
[4] http://github.com/petdance/ack
[5] http://github.com/queueRAM/btpd

Cesare Falco

Jul 12, 2010, 3:46:10 PM7/12/10
Il giorno lun, 12/07/2010 alle 13.23 -0500, Marq Schneider ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> I have given this some serious thought and have decided that I'm
> willing to step up here and take the reins, if I can get everyone's
> approval.
+1

Welcome aboard, Captain! :)

Cesare.

Yassen Roussev

Jul 12, 2010, 3:57:38 PM7/12/10
Great news indeed!

Y.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Cedric Tefft

Jul 13, 2010, 11:52:26 AM7/13/10
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Marq Schneider <queueram at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have given this some serious thought and have decided that I'm
> willing to step up here and take the reins, if I can get everyone's
> approval. I feel inexperienced with leading an open source project,
> so I would like to fully disclose my experience here:
> 2005-2007: Submitted a few patches to the pidgin project (then gaim)
> 2008: Worked Google Summer of Code for pidgin (developing enhancements
> to finch, the terminal-based IM client)
> 2009-present: Submitted patches here and there for various projects:
> WxHexEditor [0], KiCad [1], btpd [2], cope [3], ack [4]

Works for me. Also, at this point, I think anybody willing to step up gets
the job by default. :-)

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Marq Schneider

Jul 13, 2010, 10:46:35 PM7/13/10
I'm glad to receive everyone's (de facto) support. I would still like
to hear from Alessandro Calor?, Florian Stinglmayr, and it would sure
be nice to receive official blessings from Richard Nyberg before
calling it official. However, I am feeling more confident here, so I
will continue moving forward until I hear otherwise.

In case you missed it in my last burst of info, the new home of btpd
for the moment will be here:
http://github.com/queueRAM/btpd
My reasoning for choosing GitHub is simple: I prefer git for SCM and
GitHub makes it convenient to host, fork, and reference.

Now, let's talk progress. Here are the tasks that are now complete:
1. Imported Richard's git repository into GitHub
2. Tagged previous (3) releases in git
3. Imported all the issues reported on mailing list to GitHub issue tracker

As #3 states, I combed through the mailing list trying to pull out any
problems, enhancements, and requests which we still need to attend to.
If there is anything you strongly care about, please ensure that I
have added it to the list of issues on GitHub. If I have not, feel
free to add it yourself or email me with the issue and I will post it
there.

This leads me to the future tasks:
4. Comment/decide on Issues List
- I need your input here! Please vote on and post comments on the issues.
5. Incorporating pending patches
- I will try to do my best with these, but any help would be appreciated.
6. Adding more collaborators
- This is kind of part of #5. GitHub makes it easy to fork a
project and issue pull requests
7. Ironing out a release plan
- Let's get some idea of what we'd like to see in the next release

If you think I missed anything or have any ideas to make this process
better, please feel free to post them here.

Regards,
Marq

Lars Nooden

Jul 14, 2010, 4:56:25 AM7/14/10
Marq,

Thanks for picking up btpd, and thanks again to Richard for all his work.

On 07/14/2010 05:46 AM, Marq Schneider wrote:
> 3. Imported all the issues reported on mailing list to GitHub issue tracker
>
> As #3 states, I combed through the mailing list trying to pull out any
> problems, enhancements, and requests which we still need to attend to.
> If there is anything you strongly care about, please ensure that I
> have added it to the list of issues on GitHub.

It would be nice to have manuals with the package. Here are three, if
no better ones are already there:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lars/OpenBSD/btcli.1.gz
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lars/OpenBSD/btinfo.1.gz
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lars/OpenBSD/btpd.1.gz

Regards,
/Lars

PS. The address http://github.com/queueRAM/btpd seems to have some
kind of flash affliction. Could that please be removed?

/Lars

Nicholas Marriott

Jul 14, 2010, 5:32:18 AM7/14/10
Thanks for picking this up,

I recommend you apply the man pages, add any outstanding patches/simple
fixes and make a release as soon as possible, so that the world at large
is aware btpd is alive again. Releases are what attract attention to a
project outside of existing users.

Set up an account on freshmeat if there isn't one already, it has its
problems but it is a good way of making the project more visible.

Marq Schneider

Jul 14, 2010, 9:55:17 AM7/14/10
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 03:56, Lars Nooden <lars.curator at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be nice to have manuals with the package. ?Here are three, if

> no better ones are already there:
>
> ?http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lars/OpenBSD/btcli.1.gz
> ?http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lars/OpenBSD/btinfo.1.gz
> ?http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lars/OpenBSD/btpd.1.gz

Yup, I've already added yours to the list and plan on using those as a
basis. Thanks!
http://github.com/queueRAM/btpd/issues#issue/9

> PS. ?The address ?http://github.com/queueRAM/btpd ?seems to have some
> kind of flash affliction. ?Could that please be removed?

I'm not sure what "flash affliction" means. Can you elaborate? In
any case, I don't have much control over what GitHub.

Thanks,
Marq

Marq Schneider

Jul 14, 2010, 10:11:26 AM7/14/10
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 04:32, Nicholas Marriott
<nicholas.marriott at gmail.com> wrote:
> I recommend you apply the man pages, add any outstanding patches/simple
> fixes and make a release as soon as possible, so that the world at large
> is aware btpd is alive again. Releases are what attract attention to a
> project outside of existing users.
>
> Set up an account on freshmeat if there isn't one already, it has its
> problems but it is a good way of making the project more visible.

The man pages will definitely be there. I agree, putting together a
release with some of the fixes and patches already supported sounds
like the right thing to do. I'm not too concerned about user base at
this point, but it couldn't hurt to put us out there. I created a
freshmeat project page [0] (pending approval) since I do enjoy
watching projects progress through that.

[0] http://freshmeat.net/projects/btpd

-Marq

Florian Stinglmayr

Jul 14, 2010, 11:35:47 AM7/14/10
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 8:23 PM, Marq Schneider <queueram at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have given this some serious thought and have decided that I'm
> willing to step up here and take the reins, if I can get everyone's
> approval. ?I feel inexperienced with leading an open source project,

> so I would like to fully disclose my experience here:
> 2005-2007: Submitted a few patches to the pidgin project (then gaim)
> 2008: Worked Google Summer of Code for pidgin (developing enhancements
> to finch, the terminal-based IM client)
> 2009-present: Submitted patches here and there for various projects:
> WxHexEditor [0], KiCad [1], btpd [2], cope [3], ack [4]

You have my approval and support, and thanks for stepping up! And I am
pretty confident that you'll do a great job!

Congratulations!
Florian