Patch submission and git/github question

2 vues

Cesare Falco

non lue,
6 août 2010, 06:19:3306/08/2010
à btpd-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm attaching a short patch against man pages to fix a few minus signs
lacking escaping.

I'm new to github and to git as well, so please:
1. is there any way to submit patches to github?
2. I can't make commits to btp repo; I have to fork it, work on new
repo and ask for merging in the end, right?

Thanks!
Cesare.

hyphen_as_minus_sign.patch

Marq Schneider

non lue,
6 août 2010, 12:00:3006/08/2010
à btpd-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 05:19, Cesare Falco <cesare...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm attaching a short patch against man pages to fix a few minus signs
> lacking escaping.

Thanks for the patch!

> I'm new to github and to git as well, so please:
> 1. is there any way to submit patches to github?
> 2. I can't make commits to btp repo; I have to fork it, work on new
> repo and ask for merging in the end, right?

These are good questions. At the moment, GitHub doesn't have a way to
just submit a patch in the classical sense, although they are working
on a solution for this. For now, you have two choices:
a) Save the patch in gist [0] (this is similar to a pastebin, but
version controller) and reference this a post on the issue tracker.
b) fork the btpd repo, make your changes, and issue a pull request

For simple patches, i recommend a). For more significant changes or
continual changes, i recommend b). However, either are fine by me.
I'll add this information to the "Submitting Bug Reports" wiki article
[1].

[0] http://gist.github.com/
[1] http://wiki.github.com/btpd/btpd/submitting-bug-reports

-Marq