Re: On the topic of mailing lists

Cesare Falco

Jul 16, 2010, 2:50:32 AM7/16/10
to btpd general discussion.
2010/7/16, Marq Schneider <queu...@gmail.com>:
> Does anyone have any objections with a switch to Google Groups or know
> of a better mailing list provider that we can use?

We could also consider Freelists:
http://www.freelists.org/

No objecton with GG anyway, it's fine for me.

Cheers,
Cesare.

Florian Stinglmayr

Jul 16, 2010, 8:03:30 AM7/16/10
to btpd general discussion.
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 6:00 AM, Marq Schneider <queu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any objections with a switch to Google Groups or know
> of a better mailing list provider that we can use?
>
> I plan to make the transition this weekend, unless I hear any objections.

I have my personal root server (kxd.cc) which can virtually run
anything. But GG is fine aswell.

Regards,
Florian

Marq Schneider

Jul 19, 2010, 1:43:16 AM7/19/10
to btpd general discussion.
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 07:03, Florian Stinglmayr <fstin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 6:00 AM, Marq Schneider <queu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone have any objections with a switch to Google Groups or know
>> of a better mailing list provider that we can use?
>>
>> I plan to make the transition this weekend, unless I hear any objections.
>>

> I have my personal root server (kxd.cc) which can virtually run
> anything. But GG is fine aswell.

Thanks for the offer, but I'd prefer to keep it something that several
"owners" of the project can control. Consider it bus factor
mitigation [0].

I've taken a closer look at Google Groups and Freelists. While
Freelists has a longer history, it's mailing list support seems more
primitive than our current one running mailman. A mailing list
doesn't need to be too fancy, however, i find Google's search
interface to be much more convenient than Freelists'.

Neither GG nor Freelists supports and mailing list archive import, so
that is going to present a problem. GG supports uploading files, so
i've started uploading the archives downloaded from the current
btpd-users mailing list. However, searching the group does not also
return search results from these files. One other idea i had which
looks like it will work is i can write a script to parse through the
old logs and retransmit the messages to the GG mailing list with
semi-forged email headers using sendmail or something. This will look
like the original messages, except all will be sent from one SMTP
server. I manually tested this out with one message and it looks like
a viable option. It will just take some work to construct the
pace that Google won't interpret as spamming.

I'm going to hold off one more week while i contemplate this.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor

-Marq

Nicholas Marriott

Jul 19, 2010, 4:22:19 AM7/19/10
to btpd general discussion.
Personally I wouldn't worry about mailing list archives, if someone has
them as an mbox or something just put it in git so they are around if
necessary, but even if not I wouldn't spend too much time on it.

Marq Schneider

Jul 22, 2010, 6:09:21 PM7/22/10
to btpd general discussion.
On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 03:22, Nicholas Marriott
<nicholas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally I wouldn't worry about mailing list archives, if someone has
> them as an mbox or something just put it in git so they are around if
> necessary, but even if not I wouldn't spend too much time on it.

Initially, i shared these same thoughts. However, after some debate,
i decided it was worth keeping the history around since others can use
it to find answers to questions and obtain a better understanding of
the evolution of the project. It has been really enlightening for me
to read through the emails from 2006 and i expect to learn more as i
make it through the mailing list archives to the present. Also, i
already have the script running and populating the new mailing list
with the old messages. 100 down, and only 600 or so to go! Also, i
added the group to our current mailing list so it has been saving all
new emails since then and will continue to do so in case anyone
mistakenly uses the old list.

I expect the script to finish some time over the weekend at which
point i will invite everyone who has emailed the list to the new list
and you can opt-out from there. I won't add you until the spamming
script is done. If you haven't emailed the list, well, you'll just
have to add yourself. More details will follow.

Marq Schneider

Jul 25, 2010, 5:59:56 PM7/25/10
to btpd general discussion.
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 17:09, Marq Schneider <queu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I expect the script to finish some time over the weekend at which
> point i will invite everyone who has emailed the list to the new list
> and you can opt-out from there.  I won't add you until the spamming
> script is done.  If you haven't emailed the list, well, you'll just
> have to add yourself.  More details will follow.

And here are the more details. I just sent out an invitation from the
new btpd Google Group to the list of active btpd-users subscribers.
If you did not get an invite, it is because you either have not sent a
message to the list in the past year or you do not permit Google Group
mailing list managers to send you invites. You will have to manually
follow the link below [0] and subscribe yourself to the group.

this address for all future discussions. This new list is subscribed
to the old mailing list, but I don't think those messages get
forwarded on the new subscribers. Messages sent to the old list will
still be archived on the new one. In addition, all old mailing list
archives have been saved to the new list. It was a painful procedure,
of which the details I will save for a rainy day.

[0] http://groups.google.com/group/btpd-users

Now back to real work on btpd.

Slona

Jul 25, 2010, 7:05:46 PM7/25/10
to btpd general discussion
> The new mailing list address btpd-...@googlegroups.com .  Please use
> this address for all future discussions.  This new list is subscribed
> to the old mailing list, but I don't think those messages get
> forwarded on the new subscribers.  Messages sent to the old list will
> still be archived on the new one.  In addition, all old mailing list
> archives have been saved to the new list.  It was a painful procedure,
> of which the details I will save for a rainy day.

Good effort Marq.

Testing the new list.

Y/

Per Jessen

Jul 26, 2010, 3:27:40 AM7/26/10
to btpd-...@googlegroups.com
Marq Schneider wrote:

> I expect the script to finish some time over the weekend at which
> point i will invite everyone who has emailed the list to the new list
> and you can opt-out from there.

Any reason why you didn't want to use the list of subscribers from the
old list? I have just retrieved it, it's available to subscribers.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

Marq Schneider

Jul 26, 2010, 9:38:16 AM7/26/10
to btpd-...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 02:27, Per Jessen <p...@computer.org> wrote:
> Any reason why you didn't want to use the list of subscribers from the
> old list?  I have just retrieved it, it's available to subscribers.

Yes, a very poor reason: i overlooked this option on the old list. I
will try to reconcile this now.

-Marq

Nemosoft Unv.

Jul 26, 2010, 9:41:35 AM7/26/10
to btpd general discussion.
Hello,

On Sunday 25 July 2010 23:59:56 Marq Schneider wrote:

> And here are the more details. I just sent out an invitation from the
> new btpd Google Group to the list of active btpd-users subscribers.
> If you did not get an invite, it is because you either have not sent a
> message to the list in the past year or you do not permit Google Group
> mailing list managers to send you invites. You will have to manually
> follow the link below [0] and subscribe yourself to the group.

I got the invitation, but now there's a catch: I am supposed to sign in with a
Google account. Which I have, but do not wish to use it for btpd or anything
of a personal/hobby nature. I also do not wish to create another Google
account (which is probably a violation of their Terms and Conditions too).

I didn't realize this when Google Groups was mentioned. I thought it was okay
to use GG until I clicked the link :-( Perhaps others will be put off by this
as well, since as far as I can see, the only way to join the mailinglist is by
creating/having a Google account.

- Nemosoft

Marq Schneider

Jul 26, 2010, 9:56:13 AM7/26/10
to btpd general discussion.

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 08:41, Nemosoft Unv. <nemo...@smcc.demon.nl> wrote:
> I got the invitation, but now there's a catch: I am supposed to sign in with a
> Google account. Which I have, but do not wish to use it for btpd or anything
> of a personal/hobby nature. I also do not wish to create another Google
> account (which is probably a violation of their Terms and Conditions too).
>
> I didn't realize this when Google Groups was mentioned. I thought it was okay
> to use GG until I clicked the link :-( Perhaps others will be put off by this
> as well, since as far as I can see, the only way to join the mailinglist is by
> creating/having a Google account.

I guess i don't really see the issue with creating a new Google
account. I did this with an @yahoo email address while testing the
new list. You just need to create it but don't need to keep it logged
in if you choose one of the email subscription options. This is
really no different than the old mailman mailing list where you
provide it an email address and subscription password.

Regarding your concern about violation of Google's ToC, i have not
fully read into the matter. However, i can tell you that the Google
Police have not come knocking on my door yet.

-Marq

Per Jessen

Jul 26, 2010, 10:00:16 AM7/26/10
to btpd-...@googlegroups.com
Nemosoft Unv. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Sunday 25 July 2010 23:59:56 Marq Schneider wrote:
>
>> And here are the more details. I just sent out an invitation from
>> the new btpd Google Group to the list of active btpd-users
>> subscribers. If you did not get an invite, it is because you either
>> have not sent a message to the list in the past year or you do not
>> permit Google Group
>> mailing list managers to send you invites. You will have to manually
>> follow the link below [0] and subscribe yourself to the group.
>
> I got the invitation, but now there's a catch: I am supposed to sign
> in with a Google account. Which I have, but do not wish to use it for
> btpd or anything of a personal/hobby nature. I also do not wish to
> create another Google account (which is probably a violation of their
> Terms and Conditions too).

There is no need to set up an account, you can subscribe by just sending
an email to btpd-users...@googlegroups.com

/Per Jessen, Zürich

Ludvig Omholt

Jul 26, 2010, 12:23:03 PM7/26/10
to btpd general discussion.
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 15:41, Nemosoft Unv. <nemo...@smcc.demon.nl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sunday 25 July 2010 23:59:56 Marq Schneider wrote:
>
>> And here are the more details.  I just sent out an invitation from the
>> new btpd Google Group to the list of active btpd-users subscribers.
>> If you did not get an invite, it is because you either have not sent a
>> message to the list in the past year or you do not permit Google Group
>> mailing list managers to send you invites.  You will have to manually
>> follow the link below [0] and subscribe yourself to the group.
>
> I got the invitation, but now there's a catch: I am supposed to sign in with a
> Google account. Which I have, but do not wish to use it for btpd or anything
> of a personal/hobby nature. I also do not wish to create another Google
> account (which is probably a violation of their Terms and Conditions too).
>
> I didn't realize this when Google Groups was mentioned. I thought it was okay
> to use GG until I clicked the link :-( Perhaps others will be put off by this
> as well, since as far as I can see, the only way to join the mailinglist is by
> creating/having a Google account.
>
>  - Nemosoft

There's a less obvious way to subscribe a non-google address: Send an
empty message to btpd-users...@googlegroups.com from the
address you wish to subscribe.

/Ludde