firewall, opening ports

Mathieu Arnold

Feb 17, 2011, 7:54:54 PM2/17/11
to btpd general discussion
Hi,

Reading the doc, and the archives, I can't quite figure out something.
So, I launch btpd with -p 12345, so, I open that port in my firewall,
but, do I need to open another port, a port range, or will every
connection from the outside always go to port 12345 ?

--
Mathieu Arnold

Cedric Tefft

Feb 17, 2011, 8:53:27 PM2/17/11
to btpd-...@googlegroups.com
Two questions:

Are you talking about a software firewall residing on your btpd machine, or a dedicated piece of hardware (a Linksys router, for instance)?

Is your workstation/server's IP address being NATed by your internet router?  In other words, does your workstation/server have a private IP address: 192.168.*, 10.* or 172.16-32.*?

Mathieu Arnold

Feb 18, 2011, 4:12:59 AM2/18/11
to btpd-...@googlegroups.com

+--On 17 février 2011 18:53:27 -0700 Cedric Tefft <logi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

| Two questions:
|
| Are you talking about a software firewall residing on your btpd machine,
| or a dedicated piece of hardware (a Linksys router, for instance)?

Hum, actually, neither, the firewall I'm talking about is the gateway of my
home network, a FreeBSD box with pf.

| Is your workstation/server's IP address being NATed by your internet
| router? In other words, does your workstation/server have a private IP
| address: 192.168.*, 10.* or 172.16-32.*?

Nope, it has a very nice public IP address. (And an IPv6 address to, though
I don't think I ran btpd with -6.)

--
Mathieu Arnold

Cedric Tefft

Feb 18, 2011, 5:44:15 AM2/18/11
to btpd-...@googlegroups.com
Then yes, you only need to open that one port btpd is configured to
listen on. All incoming connections will be addressed to that port.