Re: magnet for btpd

Marq Schneider

Dec 31, 2012, 1:08:05 PM12/31/12
to Guillaume Coré, btpd-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guillaume,

You absolutely may contact me at this email address. However, btpd
also has a mailing list [0] (which i've CCed this to) and an issues
list [1] which may be more appropriate for these requests. Don't be
afraid to use those in the future.

Now on to your question. Yes, there are plans to add magnet link
support to btpd. It's been brought up on the mailing list and there
is an item in the issue list to remind me to look into it. I haven't
had time to do the appropriate research to understand the mechanisms
of magnet links, so it remains a TODO item. If you are a programmer
and want to take a stab at it, i more than welcome patches or pull
requests for new features. If not, just sit tight, and hopefully
someone gets to it :)

Your idea of a 'magnet2torrent' tool might not be a bad way to go
about it. There does seem to be a couple web services and standalone
tools that provide this functionality already [2][3].

Have a happy new year!

[0] http://groups.google.com/group/btpd-users
[1] https://github.com/btpd/btpd/issues
[2] http://magnet2torrent.com/