Dear CFTC: This Is The Market Manipulating "Spoofing" Taking Place In The E-Mini Just Today | Zero Hedge

Brent Dover

Apr 22, 2015, 7:17:50 PM4/22/15
to btfd...@googlegroups.com
Not even sure if this email group still works.....but this is too good not to share.

Dear CFTC: This Is The Market Manipulating "Spoofing" Taking Place In The E-Mini Just Today

Dear CFTC:

Thank you!

Thank you, because 6 years after we warned about the dangers from predatory HFT including such parasitic "strategies" as spoofing (or layering, which together with the DOJ you have now confirmed is illegal), quote stuffing, flash trades, momentum ignition, sub-pennying, ISOs, and countless others, you have confirmed everything we have said.

So we have decided to return the favor.

Just because we know how serious you are in your quest to root out all market rigging, or as you put it in your charge against Navinder Sarao "manipulation or attempt to manipulate the price of the intra-day contract price for the near month of the E-mini S&P," we have decided together with Nanex to once again give you a helping hand, and point out all the spoofing that has taken place in the E-mini or ES.

Just today.

The chart below shows a contract count of just the buy orders added/canceled/executed in the 1 hour interval between 11 and 12pm in the ES:

And here are the "sales":

To remind you, this is what irritated you in the Sarao document:

... Defendants used the Layering Algorithm to place hundreds of orders for tens of thousands of contracts that were modified thousands of times and eventually canceled over 99% without ever resulting in a trade.

As you can see the vast, vast majority of ES contracts just before lunch today was cancelled without ever resulting in a single trade.

And, we are confident, since Mr. Sarao is currently either in custody or on bail, without access to the internet, one can't blame today's massive E-mini spoofing on the flash crashing mastermind.

Since we are confident you intend to root out this evil market scourge at the root, we are also providing you with examples of spoofing in oil, in US Treasurys, and in gold.

Finally, since like you we are confident the investing public's faith in the broken market must be restored at all costs, we will make this article into a daily feature showing every single day the hundreds of thousands of spoofed ES contracts, openly "manipulating" (in your own words), the so-called market.

We will stop once you, dear CFTC, have rooted out all the spoofing, all the momentum ignition, all the sub-pennying, all the quote stuffing. In short - the endless manipulation.

Now, go get 'em!

P.S. if you are unsure who the spoofer is, call us - we will be delighted to tell you: we don't even want the whistleblower award.

Your rating: None Average: 5 (54 votes)

Michael Smith

Apr 22, 2015, 7:38:34 PM4/22/15
to Brent Dover, btfd...@googlegroups.com
It's so surprising that exchanges and still charge (and a large premium at that) for level II quotes. This spoofing problem has been an issue since they introduced SOES trading (two decades ago).

An interesting potential solution is to let a market solve the problem for a market. Interactive Brokers charges you a small fee every time you change an options order (I don't think they do it on futures). The self-government of the wallet can sometimes route out bad players...of course the bad players are always motivated to work around any new hurdle too.