Service Learning WORKS! - Support something that REALLY has impact!

1 view

Teresa Matteson

May 16, 2022, 6:56:47 PM5/16/22
to Announce (bswcd-announce@googlegroups.com)

From: Cassidy, James Richard <james....@oregonstate.edu>
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2022 3:49 PM
To: CSS-Everyone <CSS-Ev...@oregonstate.edu>; Hort - ALS Bldg <Hort-A...@lists.oregonstate.edu>
Cc: Moyer, Dawn <Dawn....@oregonstate.edu>; Crannell, Wanda Kay <Wanda.C...@oregonstate.edu>
Subject: Service Learning WORKS! - Support something that REALLY has impact!

Please pass this on!

We need support to continue Service Learning @ OSU!

10+ years – THOUSANDS of Hours of SERVICE to our community!!

THOUSANDS of Students Learning By DOING!!!

OSU Crop and Soil Science has led the way for STUDENTS! – The Future, OUR Future…REALLY!!!

Please contribute here – ANY AMOUNT will help us keep our program alive – FOR THE STUDENTS!!!

For the last 10+ years, our introductory Soil Science class (SOIL 205 – typically 30+ majors!) has included Service Learning Projects as part of the class.  EVERY STUDENT participates in MEANINGFUL soils-related Service Learning (teams of 6 for 4 hours) through literally HUNDREDS of community projects – making REAL impact, providing CONTEXT, creating life-long INTERESTS/RELATIONSHIPS/OPPORTUNITEIS – to our undergraduate students.  Projects range from community gardens, riparian restoration, trail building, local and county parks plantings and clean-ups, tree plantings, pioneer cemeteries, vineyards and berry farms, the student farm, and MUCH MUCH MORE!!!

For many students this has been THE TRANSFORMATIVE experience that truly jumpstarted their learning, their interests, their passion - and some have even made education/career changes!  Some even credit their hands-on experience with KEEPING THEM IN SCHOOL!!!  I can think of literally DOZENS of students who now credit their one Service Learning Project as the thing that lit that fire, that changed what they wanted to do - and are now DOING IT!!!

This program recently lost the funding needed to keep this amazing HIGH-IMPACT program going.   Please help us keep it going with a small or large donation! – ANY AMOUNT is meaningful!

Students are Struggling to Connect - With these past years of significant loss of connection for students in classes and with each other, Service Learning provides a REAL opportunity to connect with their peers, their interests, and THEMSELVES in a way that cannot happen in the classroom (let alone on-line)…

Service Learning at OSU! – 10-years A PROVEN CONCEPT!!!

Please support this vetted, successful program @ OSU!!!

Please contribute here!!! – Now if you can!

Want some statistics?

  • 15,424 hours of service
  • 3,856 students
  • 659 different projects
  • 49 community organizations

These statistics highlight what has been accomplished through SOIL 205 service-learning projects since 2013.  The numbers are impressive, but they are an incomplete picture. They don’t acknowledge the value students feel learning in an experiential, hands-on way or convey the immense appreciation expressed by community partners.   Any contribution makes a difference and is appreciated!: https://www.beavsgive.org/organizations/soil-and-sustainable-farming