FW: South Fork Backpackers/Our Trip This Sunday

Otis Calef

Mar 24, 2011, 3:12:26 PM3/24/11
to Rik Christensen, bsatr...@googlegroups.com, Maureen Wallace, Susie Thielmann, Dave Ward, Barbara Hinman, Tom McKenney
Dear Scouts,

    Check out the adventure a couple had at S. Fork Station last weekend.  Some of you got to see the cabin on our spring trip 3 or 4 years ago, just before the fire.  Since then, under the direction of the Forest Service, Paul and especially Rik coordinated an extensive repair program on the cabin so that it is now dry, tight, warm, and rodent-free--and painted!  In support, I packed numerous mule loads down the Sweetwater Tr. from the Sierra Madre Rd., 5 or 6 miles and probably over 2,000'.  It is quite rustic, but a bit of treasured history and recognized so by the FS.  It probably only survived the Zaca Fire because firemen flew in (see "Chopper Chick") and wrapped it.

    OUR TRIP THIS WEEKEND:  High water still looks like it will a problem by this Sunday.  Access is also a problem--the road to Nira will be closed at Davy Brown.  So, I got to talking to friends in the Forest Service and came up with Plan C.   Meet at the Scout House at 8:00 as planned.  We will drive in to Avenales Station and survey the trail into Stoney Creek.  Be prepared for brush (and ticks) with long pants and sleeves, loppers and saws.  We will be car camping and there is even a refrigerator, so bring fresh food and dutch ovens.

    Avenales is in the costal mountains out E. of San Luis Obispo, at the headwaters of the Salinas River, N. of the Cuesta Grade and a little SE. of Pozo.  This is an unusual opportunity for us to get behind locked gates and into a very rarely visited wilderness area.

In Scouting,

Otis