Tauri & Brython?

Scott Lawton

Apr 29, 2024, 12:46:24 PMApr 29
to brython
Tauri is gaining momentum as an alternative to ElectronJS for creating desktop apps (and soon mobile) using html, css, & js. Two key differences from Electron:
- Tauri itself is built with Rust, with support for native modules
- the delivered app uses each platform's browser engine rather than bundling Chromium (or alternative) ... this approach has pros & cons

I'm in the process of figuring out whether it's practical to use Brython instead of JavaScript. We've made some progress, and hit some challenges. I'm new to Tauri, Rust and Brython (merely observed from a distance for many years) so for any given issue, it's not easy to determine where to put in more effort/research. Not least: I'm quite sure I haven't memorized Brython docs, so am likely to miss 'obvious' issues.

I will likely raise specific questions later, but wanted to start by asking if there's already been any work done along these lines, or if some people are interested in pooling resources?

I'm happy to post demos and such under MIT license, and we make modest contributions back to open source (e.g. a few PRs for Tauri). But, full disclosure for anyone who thinks it's relevant: our actual products will be proprietary. Some 'local first' with one-time fee (and eventually paid updates); maybe some SaaS.

Cheers,

Scott