Stinky blooms?

Judy Owens

May 22, 2024, 8:35:23 AMMay 22
to Bryan Park Neighborhood Association
There's something stinky blooming right now, but I don't know what it is. Just getting occasional wafts, but they're gag-inducing.  Too sweet and in too many locations around the neighborhood to be decomposing critters.
Any thoughts?

Judy O

Brittany D. Friesner

May 22, 2024, 9:34:01 AMMay 22
to Bryan Park Neighborhood Association
My best guess would be the dreaded and invasive Callery/Bradford Pear! Its white flowers typically blooms in May.

MC-IRIS Is offering tree replacement for landowners who are willing to rid their property of this invasive tree that chokes out native species. https://www.mc-iris.org/callery-pear-replacement.html

More about this species' environmental impact from Sycamore Land Trust

Brittany

BPNA Google Group rules/etiquette:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PrTg8sFWCfwdvXWW7tA8qPxQkm0dgfxy/view?usp=sharing
To suggest a topic, contact:
List manager, bryan...@gmail.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bryan Park Neighborhood Association" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bryanpark/CAMuAgrebp93Rb6jHWA6LXzNMjK-D1cKyp9OEjwi9kv_%3DrXJMgw%40mail.gmail.com.

Ana Velasco

May 22, 2024, 10:11:07 AMMay 22
to Bryan Park Neighborhood Association
It also could be the equally invasive Tree of Heaven that pervades the neighborhood and city. It too is gag-inducing and in bloom right now.

Ana

Jan Ellis

May 22, 2024, 10:17:14 AMMay 22
to bee...@gmail.com, Bryan Park Neighborhood Association
I believe it’s the Japanese lilac tree. It has white blooms and is stinky-sweet. Unlike the old-fashioned pinkish-purple lilac bush which has a pleasant sweet fragrance.

Mark Otvos

May 22, 2024, 10:18:52 AMMay 22
to drj...@gmail.com, Bryan Park Neighborhood Association
Prob honeysuckle. Hate that stuff.

Janice Sorby

May 22, 2024, 10:27:42 AMMay 22
to elli...@gmail.com, bee...@gmail.com, Bryan Park Neighborhood Association
Yep, that’s the culprit!!!!
Jan
Sent from my iPhone

On May 22, 2024, at 10:17 AM, Jan Ellis <elli...@gmail.com> wrote:

I believe it’s the Japanese lilac tree. It has white blooms and is stinky-sweet. Unlike the old-fashioned pinkish-purple lilac bush which has a pleasant sweet fragrance.

<B3EA6A70-5E39-49DB-B9CB-3DB0E684B8DE.jpeg>