Lawn Mowing time- ordinance?

Kim Fields

Jun 14, 2024, 8:12:30 AMJun 14
to BPNA
Are there designated times for loud yard/ house work usage like power washing and lawn mowing?

Can you mow at 8:00 am?

Judy Owens

Jun 14, 2024, 9:06:29 AMJun 14
to kimfie...@gmail.com, BPNA
Here's a starting position. Comments and revisions welcome!

It comes down to law vs courtesy.
We're all accustomed to the trash pickup trucks squealing through the neighborhoods at ungodly hours. We can live through it.
But
Balancing people's desire to sleep vs other people's need to get outdoor work done every week or two requires a little give on both sides.
If it's going to be a dangerously hot day, residents starting noisy outdoor work any time after 8 am seems like a reasonable compromise on weekdays, after 9 am on weekends. If it's not going to be horrible out, we can maybe give our neighbor a break and let them sleep in before we crank up the ol' John Deere.
~~~~~~~~~
Law

"For purposes of this chapter, unreasonable noise shall mean sound that is of a volume, frequency, or pattern that prevents, disrupts, injures, or endangers the health, safety, welfare, prosperity, comfort or repose of reasonable persons of ordinary sensitivities within the City of Bloomington, given the time of day or environment in which the blah blah blah."

Much focus on party noises, boom boxes, & souped up cars-as -pathetic- misguided-indicators -of-reproductive-fitness type behaviors. Acknowledgement that pneumatic hammers are noisy and the trucks that deliver them to the job site are noisy too.

For outdoor constructiony type activities with and without permits, it looks like after 5 am is not illegal, after 6 am is also not illegal, after 7 am is really, really not illegal.
Exceptions of the noise ordinance are made for for Sundays, holidays, emergencies, trains, church bells, service dogs, and other expected/unexpected things which may make noises at any time, but might need a permit if it's an ongoing issue.
Lawn mowers, air compressors, weedwackers not mentioned, except for the law saying don't mess with the mfgr muffler, bc that's considered frank assholery in the eyes of the law.

Enforcement: yes, you can call the cops. But first, how about a friendly chat with the offender? They likely don't know they're ruining your life.
Find a compromise.

~~~~~
Again, comments and revisions welcome!

Warmly (ahem!)

Judy O
Palmer Ave

On Fri, Jun 14, 2024, 8:12 AM Kim Fields <kimfie...@gmail.com> wrote:
Are there designated times for loud yard/ house work usage like power washing and lawn mowing?

Can you mow at 8:00 am?

BPNA Google Group rules/etiquette:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PrTg8sFWCfwdvXWW7tA8qPxQkm0dgfxy/view?usp=sharing
To suggest a topic, contact:
List manager, bryan...@gmail.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bryan Park Neighborhood Association" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bryanpark/CAFM1M5TBiv1jt-F6trTWBBA5jqUdbe5kfEbg%2BiUoT6ZxJFSauw%40mail.gmail.com.

Ron Kadish

Jun 14, 2024, 9:08:58 AMJun 14
to drj...@gmail.com, BPNA, kimfie...@gmail.com
The construction on the new playground at Templeton starts at 7am; I believe this is the earliest allowable time.

Darrell Boggess

Jun 14, 2024, 9:13:53 PMJun 14
to BPNA
If the concern is about your outdoor activities disturbing others, my solution has been to use a battery operated mower. It's quiet and has no gas, oil, spark plug, or pull cord for starting. Push one button and go. It's wonderful for a small yard.

Jung, Diane L

Jun 15, 2024, 9:01:18 PMJun 15
to dar...@sirensolar.org, BPNA
Darrell,
Thank you for mentioning that battery powered mower are a bit quieter. We moved by person powered to battery mowers a few years back and we are very happy we did.

My spouse and I both have serious health issues with heat and sun so we need to do our yard work early morning or late in the day. Occasionally, very early morning is our only option - and  last Sunday we used our weed-wacker (generally not terribly noisy, I think) starting around 8am and were finished within 20-30 minutes. We really hesitated doing so but it was really needed to get done and was the only option we had.

I feel for the many lawn services workers in our neighborhood who have to do their work in this heat and although it is indeed sometimes a bit disruptive, I always find there are done amazingly fast.

Best wishes - diane jung

Sent from my iPad