Covariance matrix

R_Nat

May 17, 2012, 2:05:51 AM5/17/12
to Bangalore R Users - BRU
Dear BRUs,

Recently I joined in this forum and I am glad. I am working from
Chennai and using R for computational biology. I have very limited
experience in R. My current problem is I have to use a covariance
matrix , which contains the elements of non-numberic terms , the
variables. I have to feed the matrix in a optimizer, say the
likelihood maximizer function to optimize the variables in the
covariance matrix. My problem is how I store the such a kind of data "
character variables" in the matrix for example,

The matrix should look like the following

2*Var_S+Var_N 4*Var_S 3*Var_S 2*Var_S

Cov_M = 4*Var_S 1*Var_S+Var_N