Release update

Richard Jones

Jan 10, 2009, 7:11:58 PM1/10/09
to bruce...@googlegroups.com
I know there's some people waiting on the BSS stylesheets stuff, and I'm sorry
it's not out yet.

Unfortunately the next release has been delayed because I got distracted doing
list-item expose (as in the next-page action exposes list items in turn). It's
working, but performance is suboptimal if one (or more) of the list items
contains a table. Also there's an implementation issue which means video and
plugins are reset when each item is exposed. I'll release anyway, just noting
those caveats.

I'd like to get the timing stuff in that's been requested in the last few days
too. It won't take long at all - I should have the next release out by the
middle of next week. Hell, I might even find some time today in-between bouts
of gardening :)

Richard

Ned Batchelder

Jan 12, 2009, 4:35:18 PM1/12/09
to bruce...@googlegroups.com
Richard, I'm really pleased to see this work coming along!

I noticed the timed-display request, and it could fit in well with my
request for a PNG-export mode. I didn't know how to automatically
advance the slides, so the patch I supplied required the user to
manually advance to each slide to get the image capture. With a timed
display mode, I could set the slides to advance after a zero-second
delay, capturing the images with no user interaction, which would be
great. I'm trying to create a fully-automated scriptable solution for
getting PNGs from a slide show.

--Ned.
http://nedbatchelder.com

Richard Jones

Jan 12, 2009, 6:36:57 PM1/12/09
to bruce...@googlegroups.com
I've implemented three things that're checked in now:

1. Recording of screenshot images + timing information. I hope to
figure how to turn this into a video file.
2. Playback of a presentation using that timing information.
3. Automatic playing of a presentation with a fixed timing between pages.

2 & 3 may be run in a loop.

Richard

Richard Jones

Jan 12, 2009, 6:43:09 PM1/12/09
to bruce...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Richard Jones <r1char...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've implemented three things that're checked in now:
>
> 1. Recording of screenshot images + timing information. I hope to
> figure how to turn this into a video file.
> 2. Playback of a presentation using that timing information.
> 3. Automatic playing of a presentation with a fixed timing between pages.
>
> 2 & 3 may be run in a loop.

Bugger. gmail posted this before I'd finished editing.

I believe the above satisfy your requirements using a combination of
--record and --playspeed, like so:

python run_bruce.py examples/test_image.rst --record=/tmp/images --playspeed=.5

You'll want to make sure the presentation has ".. style::
:transition.name: none" at the top

Using a speed faster than .5 is discouraged until some fine-tuning of
timing can be done.

Richard

Ned Batchelder

Jan 12, 2009, 8:54:26 PM1/12/09
to bruce...@googlegroups.com
Richard, thanks!!

This works great.  I have only two small problems.

1) For some reason on my slides, the second slide zips past faster than it is supposed to.  With playspeed=.5, I don't get screenshot-1.png.  If I change playspeed to 1, the second slide still goes past faster than the others, but now it's slower, and the .png is saved.

2) I still have to manually quit the presentation.  Any ideas about exiting automatically, or is that too far off the reservation?  I can use the plugin approach for this if need be.

Thanks for being so responsive!

--Ned.
http://nedbatchelder.com

Richard Jones

Jan 12, 2009, 9:25:25 PM1/12/09
to bruce...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Ned Batchelder <n...@nedbatchelder.com> wrote:
> 1) For some reason on my slides, the second slide zips past faster than it
> is supposed to. With playspeed=.5, I don't get screenshot-1.png. If I
> change playspeed to 1, the second slide still goes past faster than the
> others, but now it's slower, and the .png is saved.

That's odd. What's the slide content?

> 2) I still have to manually quit the presentation. Any ideas about exiting
> automatically, or is that too far off the reservation? I can use the plugin
> approach for this if need be.

Done. See --once.

I've also fixed --loop so it works twice ;)

Richard

Richard Jones

Jan 12, 2009, 10:57:49 PM1/12/09
to bruce...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Richard Jones <r1char...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2) I still have to manually quit the presentation. Any ideas about exiting
>> automatically, or is that too far off the reservation? I can use the plugin
>> approach for this if need be.
>
> Done. See --once.

Renamed to --autoquit. "once" was a dumb name.

Richard

Ned Batchelder

Jan 13, 2009, 7:18:00 PM1/13/09
to bruce...@googlegroups.com
Perfect, thanks!  About the odd timing of my slides, it isn't happening now, but occasionally I see uneven timings.  I'll try to keep an eye on it...

--Ned.
http://nedbatchelder.com