run_bruce question, and possible bug in test_interpreter.rst

Bruce Smith

Mar 26, 2009, 4:36:49 PM3/26/09
to bruce-users
Hi,

I am trying out bruce-tpt from the svn trunk (including 4 external
dependencies it downloaded automatically during checkout). I'm on an
Intel Mac, OS 10.5.6, using a cinema display.

According to README.txt:

If you've not installed Bruce then you may run from the source::

% python run_bruce.py [presentation source.txt]

So I assume this should also work:

./run_bruce.py [examples/whatever.rst]

To make it actually work I had to add a line to run_bruce.py:

sys.path.insert(0, '.')
+sys.path.insert(0, 'docutils-extras') ### hack

(Otherwise I got an import error for roman.py.) Is this expected?

After that, I tried quite a few examples and they work well. But one
of them may have a bug -- on slide 2 of `./run_bruce.py examples/
test_interpreter.rst`, no matter where I move the mouse (over either
interpreter or over the background), my typing goes into the second
interpreter of the two that are visible. From the text on the slide I
assume that typing is supposed to go into the interpreter under my
mouse at the moment. (Clicking anywhere just advances to the next
slide.)

- Bruce Smith

Richard Jones

Mar 26, 2009, 11:00:14 PM3/26/09
to bruce...@googlegroups.com
On 27/03/2009, at 7:36 AM, Bruce Smith wrote:
> ./run_bruce.py [examples/whatever.rst]
>
> To make it actually work I had to add a line to run_bruce.py:
>
> sys.path.insert(0, '.')
> +sys.path.insert(0, 'docutils-extras') ### hack

Thanks, I've checked this fix in. Eventually the recommended usage
will be to develop Bruce in a virtualenv.

> After that, I tried quite a few examples and they work well. But one
> of them may have a bug -- on slide 2 of `./run_bruce.py examples/
> test_interpreter.rst`, no matter where I move the mouse (over either
> interpreter or over the background), my typing goes into the second
> interpreter of the two that are visible.

Hm, yes, this isn't implemented yet :(

> From the text on the slide I
> assume that typing is supposed to go into the interpreter under my
> mouse at the moment. (Clicking anywhere just advances to the next
> slide.)

There's also some rendering issues in the interpreter at the moment
that I need to try to track down. It's got me quite stumped. Stand-
alone it works fine (bruce/interpreter.py is executable), but when
embedded in a page it gets strange.

Richard