Reunion Plans

Will Loving

Nov 8, 2006, 8:13:43 AM11/8/06
to Baker River School
(This was originally sent as a email, but I'm posting it here for all
to see)

Hi folks,

I spoke with Margaret and Steve at Woolman Hill and here are the
details:

Cost for the weekend - Friday night through whenever on Sunday is:

$1100 minimum or $65 per person, whichever is higher, with possible
negotiable cap. This is the cost for the entire weekend, not per night.

Details: The cost above includes use of the Conference Center, Cabins,
Meeting House and fields for camping. It does not include food, but I
know two people, Annie Hassett and Olivia Tacelli, who cater these
kinds of events. Either of them could organize and provide excellent,
healthy food at a reasonable cost and could easily work with volunteer
"crews" of assistants.

Sleeping: The Conference Center holds 22-28 people - with a mix of beds
and mattresses on the floor, roughly 3-5 in each room. Cabins: one
cabin holds 2 people in a loft bed, and the other two can hold 4-5
people each. There is a Yurt available in the woods which can hold up
to 20 for gatherings and may be available for sleeping by next summer
(they need to put in a second exit to meet fire code).

There is plenty of space for camping

Currently available weekends:

June - 9-10, 16-17, and one of two last weekends
July - 14-15, 21-22, 28-29
August - 4-5, 18-19, 25-26

There is also a former Motel 6 (don't know what it's called now) about
6 miles down the road which could provide inexpensive backup lodging as
needed.

I'll just say that I'm going to let you all do the organizing. The
website and my current work overload are about all I can handle at the
moment.

Will Loving

Will Loving

Nov 8, 2006, 8:16:27 AM11/8/06
to Baker River School
(This is my second followup email which I'm also posting here for
reference)

Hi All,

I'd be happy to be kept in the loop so that I can do what I do best,
making connections, networking and finding solutions to problems. The
software that I sell for community schools is in major revision right
now and I'm under significant pressure to get it done, so I'll just
monitor things and offer suggestions or comments when I feel it might
be helpful. Since I live in the area and know Woolman Hill, I might be
able to connect you with resources you're unaware of and make things
easier.

With respect to additional lodging, there is a motel about 6 miles down
the road. Right off the interstate. It used to be a Motel 6 but it's
changed names and I can't remember what it is - whatever it is it will
be on the inexpensive side.

Regarding sending out a notice, Tammy, I can print out and mail you a
set of labels with the most recent addresses. I can also send you a set
of return address labels. As far as a flyer I would suggest printing
one copy on your printer and then photo-copying it. Or, if you send me
an electronic version (Word or Quark file) I can print it and send it
to you with the labels.

Regarding the reservation, when I spoke with Margaret at Woolman, she
said that once someone is "penciled in" they won't give the site to
another group without checking with you even if they haven't received
your deposit yet.

Regarding food, I'm sure that as well-trained BRS kitchen crews we
could probably manage the food, at least in term so cooking and
cleaning, but planning and purchasing food for a large group is a very
large task. This would require someone local who has experience in this
and is willing to do all the work. As far as I'm aware, the only person
who fits that description is me, and I simply can't take it on.

My suggestion is that we see about pricing for getting one of two
people I mentioned previously, Annie Hassett or Olivia Tacelli. I can
check with them and get approximate pricing. I know that both of them
have experience with "workshop" type settings where they plan the menu,
purchase the food, do some prep cooking and supervise the kitchen while
the attendees do most of the work. They are both very oriented towards
healthy foods and could accommodate varying needs.

Finally, in case it wasn't clear, the $65/person is for the whole
weekend, not just one night. You would need all of 17 people coming to
make the minimum and I'm guessing you might have close to that now if
you put out the word for a straw poll. Margaret also said that we could
negotiate a cap on the price, so that after a certain number was
reached the price per person would start to drop. I think you should
assume and charge $65 up front. If there is money left over then you
can figure out how to deal with it then.

Will Loving

Will Loving

Dec 8, 2006, 11:43:42 AM12/8/06
to Baker River School
Ok, everyone, I've confirmed with Steve Howes at Woolman Hill for the
weekend of August 24-26, 2007. I believe both Wil and Macy had offered
to send a deposit to them for the weekend, so if you want to work it
out between who is going to send it, a check should go to:

Woolman Hill Conference Center
107 Keets Road
Deerfield, MA 01342

I will post a notice on the website when I get a chance. We should also
send out an email but as Tammy has pointed out, about a quarter of the
names we have have no email. Would someone like to do a postcard either
to those names or to everyone? It would probably be a good idea if the
same notice include the link to the survey. I've started setting one
up on http://surveymonkey.com, but if someone else wants to work on it
that would be very helpful.

Will Loving