API limitations?

Chris Weber

Jan 12, 2012, 5:00:40 PM1/12/12
to Browserscope
Hello, I'm looking into your public API to integrate with some tests I
have that determine which charset encodings a browser supports. You
can see these at:

http://lookout.net/test/charsets/iana-charset-support/ and
http://lookout.net/test/charsets/ascii-unsafe/

It seemed like a good case for using browserscope, but I'm limited by
the API. If your documentation is still current then _bTestResults
supports a maximum of 200 results, however I may have up to 300
results from one test pass - e.g. 271 charset aliases are supported by
Internet Explorer.

Is that 200 result limitation still in effect? Also, are there any
options for allowing the test_key's value to be a string rather than
an integer? That would allow me to use browsescope for several other
test cases I'm considering.

Thanks

Lindsey Simon

Jan 12, 2012, 7:42:00 PM1/12/12
to browse...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Chris Weber <ch...@lookout.net> wrote:
Hello, I'm looking into your public API to integrate with some tests I
have that determine which charset encodings a browser supports.  You
can see these at:

http://lookout.net/test/charsets/iana-charset-support/ and
http://lookout.net/test/charsets/ascii-unsafe/

Cool!

It seemed like a good case for using browserscope, but I'm limited by
the API.  If your documentation is still current then _bTestResults
supports a maximum of 200 results, however I may have up to 300
results from one test pass - e.g. 271 charset aliases are supported by
Internet Explorer.

Is that 200 result limitation still in effect?

Gotcha - the problem is just one of scaling and design, and that number represents the constant in our code base.
I'd be up for changing it to 300 if that will suffice for you and we can see if your results work or not. Let me know!

  Also, are there any
options for allowing the test_key's value to be a string rather than
an integer?  That would allow me to use browsescope for several other
test cases I'm considering.

I think you'll just have to manage an enum list for string values - the system does medians on the results by design so it does need to be an integer.

Regards,
Lindsey