Snowball fight update #4

brooklynsn...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2006, 1:58:47 PM1/10/06
to brooklynsnowballfight
A belated merry winter solstice and Happy New Year to everyone. I want
to apologize for the severe delay in this latest snowball fight update.
It appears that Gmail gets pretty uppity about sending out too many
messages at once, and my last update resulted in me getting blocked out
of my account temporarily. I think the account is still flagged in
fact; it seems like I am missing some functionality. The promised web
site is still under construction, however with the transit strike, the
holidays, and some technical difficulties to deal with it has been
going a bit slower than hoped.

So for the moment I am giving something new a shot... Google groups.
Hopefully this will work out well for getting out updates (and
hopefully I have transferred over ALL of the addresses received to
date... which was no easy task). I'm pretty sure that it is quite
simple to unsubscribe as well, should anyone receiving this message no
longer wish to be subjected to my ramblings. Any updates sent out to
this mailing group will also be posted on the web site once it is up.

Despite five hour commutes to work, seasonal traveling, and
run-of-the-mill New Year's Eve debauchery, planning for the world's
ultimate snowball fight has continued. I met with the Propect Park
Alliance just before the end of the year and am happy to announce that
they are totally on board with the idea and they are committed to
putting Brooklyn in the Guinness Book of World Records. There is a
more comprehensive meeting scheduled for this Wednesday, so further
details will be shared in the next update.

The major logistical issue at the moment is liability insurance for the
event. I am trying to get in touch with ConEdison and KeySpan to see
if either company is willing to sponsor the event (at the suggestion of
the Parks Dept.), and still have a naïve hope that perhaps the City
itself will sponsor the event. If anyone has any contact information
for any company that would be willing to sponsor insurance, or happens
to work at an insurance company that would be willing to donate
coverage, please let me know.

And if anyone can reassure me that even though it is over 50 degrees
outside right now that we will get some snow eventually, I would
appreciate it.

To all the folks who wrote asking when the event will be... still
shooting for very late January to mid-February, depending on the
weather of course. So all of you college students who feared missing
the main event because you're home on break can rest easy.

Now that 2006 is in full swing planning is going forward again in full
force. Responsibilities are slowly being shared to take some of the
burden off of me (for which I am forever grateful), and in the next few
days I will probably be asking for even more help. To anyone I have
not responded to directly I do apologize. I will try to catch up with
everyone by the weekend.

Oh, and thanks to everyone who pointed out that the old record of 2,500
was broken recently by some town in Illinois and just made official by
Guinness. Our target is now 3,000 so more recruiting needs to be done.

Word seems to still be getting out in a variety of unexpected places:
the neighborhood report in the NYT (25 Dec) on williamsboard.com,
Chemical and Engineering News, someone heard a discussion on an XM
station, etc. Plenty of local media that I know of have picked up on
it too, and I'm sure there is much that I have missed. Everyone
seems to be very enthusiastic about the snowball fight. If we get a
little luck and a lot of snow, this thing is going to happen!

I'm not sure if people can respond to me via this Google group, but
I'm still checking brooklynsn...@gmail.com daily, so feel
free to keep inquiries coming and forwarding information to friends.
Once the web site is up I will send out a mass message with the URL. I
hope everyone is enjoying '06 so far and is still stoked about making
history!

Take care,
Jon