Brooklyn and Windows

Jose Carrasco

Dec 3, 2013, 10:31:18 AM12/3/13
to brookly...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

may it be possible execute Brooklyn in Windows?

Thanks.

Richard Downer

Dec 3, 2013, 11:48:10 AM12/3/13
to brookly...@googlegroups.com
Jose,

Do you mean that you would like to run the Brooklyn management console on a Windows machine? (not that you would like a Brooklyn management console to start and deploy to Windows cloud VMs)

A good question. I don't know if anyone has tried :-)

My expectation is that fundamentally it will work - brooklyn uses Java libraries for SSH (sshj) and cloud (jclouds) so I think the most common operations will work. Deploying to the localhost location will almost certainly fail, and some components of Brooklyn do execute external processes and will probably expect a Unix-style shell, so some operations may not work.

Please feel free to give it a try. My guess is that sooner or later there will be some bug - so let us know what you find!

Richard Downer • Principal Engineer • Cloudsoft Corporation • http://www.cloudsoftcorp.com
GitHub richardcloudsoft • Twitter @FrontierTown

Richard Downer

Dec 10, 2013, 11:28:09 AM12/10/13
to brookly...@googlegroups.com
All,

I have given this a try, and I can confirm that brooklyn 0.6.0 will not start on Windows. There are a few bugs in filename handling which means that it cannot find brooklyn.properties or catalog.xml. Also, without a startup script replacement, starting Brooklyn has to be done by constructing a Java command by hand.

I've addressed some of these issues and opened a pull request:

Jose Carrasco

Dec 11, 2013, 4:20:05 AM12/11/13
to brookly...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Richard.

I did try it last week but I did no get it. Thus, I am going to read the post.

Thanks a lot.