Proposing Brooklyn to the Apache Incubator (final!)

Richard Downer

Apr 18, 2014, 6:37:45 AM4/18/14
to brookly...@googlegroups.com, brooklyn-dev, Chip Childers, Matt Hogstrom, Ed Anuff
I would like to invite all stakeholders in Brooklyn - whether user, contributor, committer, friend, and of course our champion and mentors - to read Brooklyn's proposal to the Apache Incubator.

The proposal is here:

I'll give it a couple of days to allow those who are away for the holiday weekend to still have a chance to consider it - and then if there are no showstoppers I will post this proposal to the incubator-general list somewhere around the middle of the week.

Looking forward to an Apache-shaped future :-)

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

--
Richard Downer • Principal Engineer • Cloudsoft Corporation • http://www.cloudsoftcorp.com
GitHub richardcloudsoft • Twitter @FrontierTown

Chip Childers

Apr 18, 2014, 12:11:30 PM4/18/14
to Richard Downer, brookly...@googlegroups.com, brooklyn-dev, Matt Hogstrom, Ed Anuff
This looks great. You have my +1. Happy to introduce this to the
gen...@i.a.o list, or you are free to do so yourself.

-chip

Duncan Johnston Watt

Apr 18, 2014, 3:13:31 PM4/18/14
to brookly...@googlegroups.com, Richard Downer, brooklyn-dev, Matt Hogstrom, Ed Anuff
Chip

Many thanks.

We are happy for you to introduce this to the gen...@i.a.o list once we've had feedback from Matt and Ed in particular.

All

If you want to track progress then please subscribe to the general list by sending an email to general-...@incubator.apache.org

Best

Duncan Johnston-Watt
CEO | Cloudsoft Corporation

Twitter | @duncanjw
Mobile | +44 777 190 2653
Skype | duncan_johnstonwatt

Cloudsoft Corporation Limited, Registered in Scotland No: SC349230.  Registered Office: 13 Dryden Place, Edinburgh, EH9 1RP

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only. If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer. Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. Cloudsoft Corporation Limited does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.

Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to avoid the transmission of viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will not adversely affect its systems or data. No responsibility is accepted by Cloudsoft Corporation Limited in this regard and the recipient should carry out such virus and other checks as it considers appropriate.

Alex Heneveld

Apr 21, 2014, 11:47:34 AM4/21/14
to brookly...@googlegroups.com, Richard Downer, brooklyn-dev, Matt Hogstrom, Ed Anuff

Hi folks,

I've added my 2p to the proposal:

    https://github.com/brooklyncentral/brooklyn/wiki/Apache-Incubator-Proposal

Aled, Ed, Matt-- any comments before we ask Chip to submit?

Richard-- great job.

Best
Alex

Alex Heneveld

Apr 21, 2014, 9:01:18 PM4/21/14
to brookly...@googlegroups.com, Richard Downer, brooklyn-dev, Matt Hogstrom, Ed Anuff

I meant to say, this is a great wee feature:

    git clone https://github.com/brooklyncentral/brooklyn.wiki.git

Best
Alex

chip.c...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2014, 11:15:17 AM4/22/14
to brookl...@googlegroups.com, brookly...@googlegroups.com, Richard Downer, Matt Hogstrom, Ed Anuff
Ping me directly when you are ready to propose. Thanks!

Alex Heneveld

Apr 23, 2014, 5:22:20 AM4/23/14
to brookly...@googlegroups.com, brooklyn-dev, Richard Downer, Matt Hogstrom, Ed Anuff, Alex Karasulu

Folks-

I'm thrilled to say that Alex Karasulu has also volunteered to mentor us as we go for Apache Incubation.  I've added him to the proposal and am pleased to introduce him to our group here.

We've also had strong support informally from nearly everyone involved with the project, on IRC and IRL as well as the mailing list, but under the terms of our charter we should have a formal vote on whether to submit to incubation.  So let me open the VOTE on submitting the incubation proposal at [1].

Best
Alex

[1]  https://github.com/brooklyncentral/brooklyn/wiki/Apache-Incubator-Proposal

Alex Heneveld

Apr 23, 2014, 5:25:48 AM4/23/14
to brookly...@googlegroups.com, brooklyn-dev, Richard Downer, Matt Hogstrom, Ed Anuff, Alex Karasulu

> formal vote on whether to submit to incubation ... proposal at ... https://github.com/brooklyncentral/brooklyn/wiki/Apache-Incubator-Proposal

+1

--A

Andrea Turli

Apr 23, 2014, 5:29:26 AM4/23/14
to brooklyn-dev, brookly...@googlegroups.com, Richard Downer, Matt Hogstrom, Ed Anuff, Alex Karasulu

Richard Downer

Apr 23, 2014, 5:54:18 AM4/23/14
to Alex Heneveld, brookly...@googlegroups.com, brooklyn-dev, Matt Hogstrom, Ed Anuff, Alex Karasulu
+1

Aled Sage

Apr 23, 2014, 6:42:57 AM4/23/14
to brookl...@googlegroups.com, brookly...@googlegroups.com, Richard Downer, Matt Hogstrom, Ed Anuff, Alex Karasulu

Duncan Johnston-Watt

Apr 23, 2014, 8:42:41 AM4/23/14
to brookly...@googlegroups.com, brookl...@googlegroups.com, Richard Downer, Matt Hogstrom, Ed Anuff, Alex Karasulu
+1
--
Duncan Johnston-Watt
CEO | Cloudsoft Corporation

Sent from my iPhone

> On 23 Apr 2014, at 11:42, Aled Sage <aled...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > formal vote on whether to submit to incubation ... proposal at ... https://github.com/brooklyncentral/brooklyn/wiki/Apache-Incubator-Proposal
>
> +1

Chip Childers

Apr 23, 2014, 9:20:05 AM4/23/14
to brooklyn-dev, brookly...@googlegroups.com, Richard Downer, Matt Hogstrom, Ed Anuff, Alex Karasulu
Hi all,

While you conduct the vote, I figured that I should explain the
process a bit. We're going to take your proposal document and add it
to the incubator wiki. From there, I'll start a discussion thread on
gen...@incubator.apache.org to gather any thoughts from the
incubator. We will also solicit more mentor support during that
process.

After a couple of days, we'll turn the discussion into a formal VOTE
of the incubator to accept the proposal. That will run for at least
72 hours. Once the vote window closes, you'll have become a podling
(and the work to transition over to the ASF infrastructure begins!).

Question for Alex: how long do you want to run your community vote to
make the proposal? Should I wait for it to conclude before starting
the DISCUSS on gen...@i.a.o?

-chip
> Google Groups "brooklyn-dev" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/brooklyn-dev/uSg2CaYZkTI/unsubscribe.
> brooklyn-dev...@googlegroups.com.

Alex Heneveld

Apr 23, 2014, 9:36:41 AM4/23/14
to brookly...@googlegroups.com, Alex Karasulu, brooklyn-dev, Ed Anuff, Matt Hogstrom, Richard Downer, Chip Childers

Chip-

Let's do it now!

We've reached the majority required under our charter.

Best
Alex

Chip Childers

Apr 23, 2014, 9:41:19 AM4/23/14
to brooklyn-dev, brookly...@googlegroups.com, Alex Karasulu, Ed Anuff, Matt Hogstrom, Richard Downer
OK, sounds good. Please subscribe to gen...@incubator.apache.org
(email to general-...@incubator.apache.org) to follow along and
answer any potential questions.

I'm going to make a request for more mentor support on your behalf.
Someone from the incoming community should probably take point on
replying to any offers with agreement. It's also possible that others
will want to be on the initial committer list (which is a good thing,
as it immediately increases diversity). The same thing applies
there... someone should be willing to welcome any comers.

-chip

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Alex Heneveld

Duncan Johnston-Watt

Apr 23, 2014, 9:53:43 AM4/23/14
to brookl...@googlegroups.com, brookly...@googlegroups.com, Alex Karasulu, Ed Anuff, Matt Hogstrom, Richard Downer
Chip

I would like to propose that Alex be on point for this.

Best
--
Duncan Johnston-Watt
CEO | Cloudsoft Corporation

Sent from my iPhone

Chip Childers

Apr 23, 2014, 10:40:36 AM4/23/14
to brooklyn-dev, brookly...@googlegroups.com, Alex Karasulu, Ed Anuff, Matt Hogstrom, Richard Downer

Richard Downer

Apr 23, 2014, 10:42:58 AM4/23/14
to Chip Childers, brooklyn-dev, brookly...@googlegroups.com, Alex Karasulu, Ed Anuff, Matt Hogstrom
Fantastic! I'll be watching that thread with very keen interest.

Thanks for your champion-ing, Chip :-)

Martin Harris

Apr 23, 2014, 10:44:59 AM4/23/14
to brookl...@googlegroups.com, Chip Childers, brookly...@googlegroups.com, Alex Karasulu, Ed Anuff, Matt Hogstrom
Sorry to have missed this, I guess I'll just have to give it a belated token +1

Exciting times :-)

Martin

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "brooklyn-dev" group.

Martin Harris
Lead Software Engineer
Cloudsoft Corporation Ltd

Alex Karasulu

Apr 23, 2014, 12:52:48 PM4/23/14
to Alex Heneveld, brookly...@googlegroups.com, brooklyn-dev, Richard Downer, Matt Hogstrom, Ed Anuff
On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Alex Heneveld <alex.h...@cloudsoftcorp.com> wrote:

Folks-

I'm thrilled to say that Alex Karasulu has also volunteered to mentor us as we go for Apache Incubation.  I've added him to the proposal and am pleased to introduce him to our group here.

Thanks for the intro Alex. It's a pleasure to meet everyone. Looking forward to working with you all and getting to know the community that produced such a wonderful OS product.

Best,
Alex

Andrew Kennedy (Cloudsoft)

Apr 23, 2014, 4:51:57 PM4/23/14
to brookly...@googlegroups.com, brookl...@googlegroups.com, Chip Childers, Alex Karasulu, Ed Anuff, Matt Hogstrom
Martin Harris wrote:
> Sorry to have missed this [...] token +1

Ditto. Here's my +1 as well. Great stuff, though.

Andrew.
--
-- andrew kennedy ? software engineer : https://github.com/grkvlt/ ;