Re: [ANNOUNCE] Mirroring to GitHub

Alex Heneveld

May 29, 2014, 10:41:10 PM5/29/14
to Andrew Kennedy, d...@brooklyn.incubator.apache.org, brooklyn-dev, d...@cloudsoftcorp.com, brookly...@googlegroups.com

Andrew-

I think there are things in your announcement which need more discussion.  Can we treat it as a proposal?  :)

> after Friday 30 May 2014, the existing GitHub repository accessed via the 'brooklyncentral' account will NO LONGER be accepting pull requests

PR's still come in against the github repo.  What is under discussion is how it gets merged afterwards and (more importantly) what checks need to be done on them.

I'd rather we held off on closing anything until this is clear.

We also need to figure out when/whether to activate github.com:brooklyn/brooklyn (which we now have) and what to do with brooklyncentral/brooklyn.  (Does anyone know what happens when you transfer a repo?)

Best
Alex

On 30/05/2014 01:24, Andrew Kennedy wrote:
All,

# Announcement

Based on Dave and Chip's emails, it looks prudent to make the switch to the ASF repository as soon as possible, as part of the ongoing incubation process for Brooklyn. Therefore, after Friday 30 May 2014, the existing GitHub repository accessed via the 'brooklyncentral' account will NO LONGER be accepting pull requests. Instead we will be switching to the ASF Git repository for 'incubator-brooklyn' as the main repository of record. This repository will be mirrored to two READ-ONLY repositories on GitHub, against which pull requests can be opened. During Friday we will work to merge the current set of outstanding pull requests.

For more details of the workflow, please see the ASF documentation here:

Note that from now on, all new branches SHOULD be associated with a JIRA issue on the BROOKLYN project and named appropriately, with a reference in the pull request title or commit test.

We will document the specific workflow and environment for Brooklyn as part of the new Brooklyn project site on apache.org, and would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

# Useful URLs

The new Git repository can be cloned from these URLs. Make sure your repository working copies, forks and remotes are updated appropriately, and ensure any local WiP branches are copied across.

Repository browsing over HTTP is available here:

The GitHub repositories are here:

The Brooklyn JIRA project is here:

# Actions

Note that contributors MUST have signed an ICLA or waived any rights to the code they are contributing.

The old Brooklyn repository will be tagged and frozen, and renamed to 'legacy-brooklyn' and all commit rights will be removed at the time of the switch-over. The other repositories maintained by the 'brooklyncentral' account will remain available, but we would welcome discussion and suggestions about which could be moved to the 'brooklyn' account, such as 'brooklyn-examples' and similar.

The existing job that is mirroring from the GitHub 'brooklyncentral' account will be turned off, but the mirroring jobs in the opposite direction, to the 'apache' and 'brooklyn' GitHub accounts will continue.

The disposition of the documentation and website code is still to be determined.

Please bear with us as we make this transition, and check with the PMC if you have any issues getting started or if I have missed anything out from this announcement.

Thanks,
Andrew (Apache Brooklyn PMC)
--
-- andrew kennedy ? engineer : http://cloudsoftcorp.com/developers/ ;

On 29 May 2014 21:11, Chip Childers <chipch...@apache.org> wrote:
Given David's comment and note about Brett's concerns with the usergrid
workflow, it would make sense to get the change over done now.

One of the challenges that we have right now is that the SGA was sent in
to donate the Brooklyn code to the ASF.  However, we're going to need to
review all of the commits that have been pulled into the booklyn GH repo
and then pushed into the ASF, to be sure that the person providing the
changes fully understood that they were effectively making a donation to
the ASF.

This might not seem like a huge deal ATM, but IP provenance is critical to
the rationale behind the ASF IP management processes / policies.

So...  instead of pulling any more commits from GH, I think it's time to
switch to ASF as the canonical repo ASAP.

Can you guys do that?

-chip