To import or not to import... that is the question

Chip Childers

May 1, 2014, 3:35:06 PM5/1/14
to brooklyn-dev
Brooklyn,

Do you want the ASF infra team to import from your existing GH repo,
or will someone be pushing specific bits to an empty new repo?

-chip

Alex Heneveld

May 1, 2014, 3:48:38 PM5/1/14
to brookl...@googlegroups.com

Chip-

It will be the entire codebase, not just bits, so probably copying the
existing repo?

I take it we can continue to accept PR's against this repo as well, no
extra steps needed yet are there?

Thanks. Very excited and pleased.

--A

chip.c...@gmail.com

May 1, 2014, 3:56:25 PM5/1/14
to brookl...@googlegroups.com, da...@gnsa.us
I'm not as familiar with the jclouds git process, so I've cc'ed David Nalley who might be better at answering your questions.

Based on your response though, looks like we should request the sync from GH to init the repo at the ASF.

Richard Downer

May 1, 2014, 4:00:05 PM5/1/14
to brooklyn-dev

Alex,

We'd be looking to duplicate the jclouds model, where the GitHub repositories are deprecated (legacy-jclouds et al) and replaced by new read only ones which the Apache repo mirrors to. Pull requests can be opened by anyone against the GitHub mirror, but the committer must merge it to the Apache repo, not GitHub.

Maybe we should get the full story from jclouds before making too many decisions?

Right, I'm getting back to my vacation :-) talk to you all soon.

Sent from my Android tablet

David Nalley

May 1, 2014, 4:00:26 PM5/1/14
to Chip Childers, brookl...@googlegroups.com
jclouds process is:
http://wiki.apache.org/jclouds/How%20to%20Contribute

and is based on the deltacloud process:
http://deltacloud.apache.org/send-pull-request.html

E.g. for non-committers it looks completely like github. For
committers you end up using the PR but commit to the ASF git repo
instead.

--David

Duncan Johnston Watt

May 6, 2014, 1:31:27 AM5/6/14
to brooklyn-dev, Chip Childers
David/Chip

Thanks.

Richard

Github have released brooklyn organization so that the read only mirror should be https://github.com/brooklyn/brooklyn going forward cf. https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds

Best

Duncan

Duncan Johnston-Watt
CEO | Cloudsoft Corporation

Twitter | @duncanjw
Mobile | +44 777 190 2653
Skype | duncan_johnstonwatt

Cloudsoft Corporation Limited, Registered in Scotland No: SC349230.  Registered Office: 13 Dryden Place, Edinburgh, EH9 1RP

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only. If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer. Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. Cloudsoft Corporation Limited does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.

Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to avoid the transmission of viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will not adversely affect its systems or data. No responsibility is accepted by Cloudsoft Corporation Limited in this regard and the recipient should carry out such virus and other checks as it considers appropriate.