brooklyn-examples repo

1 view

Richard Downer

Apr 21, 2014, 12:17:19 PM4/21/14
to brooklyn-dev
Eagle-eyed viewers may have noticed that our GitHub organisation owns a repository called brooklyn-examples, but this is not present in the Apache Incubator proposal.

Development does not actually happen against brooklyn-examples repository; instead, at release time, the "examples" folder from the main "brooklyn" repository is synced to brooklyn-examples. Therefore, it's effectively a read-only repository, and nobody should be submitting PRs against brooklyn-examples.

Could somebody with a longer memory than me describe how we came to this situation? What's the advantage in having a separate read-only repo for the examples?

It seems to me that Maven should be building an "brooklyn-examples-<VERSION>.tar.gz" that contains only the example source code, and this should be one of our released artifacts, and we drop the separate repository. What do others think of this suggestion?

Thanks,
--
Richard Downer • Principal Engineer • Cloudsoft Corporation • http://www.cloudsoftcorp.com
GitHub richardcloudsoft • Twitter @FrontierTown