White pollen?

Kevin M. Pfeiffer

Feb 20, 2013, 6:35:59 AM2/20/13
to brood...@googlegroups.com
I know that white pollen is possible, but could that be what I am seeing here in the upper-left corner? I had been marking these cells empty, but the white area seems to progressively be getting larger...

#001334 2011-08-10

-Kevin

Kevin M. Pfeiffer

Feb 20, 2013, 6:41:29 AM2/20/13
to brood...@googlegroups.com
No, guess it's not. Now these cells appear to be receiving nectar.

Reed Johnson

Feb 20, 2013, 9:41:57 AM2/20/13
to brood...@googlegroups.com
While white pollen is definitely possible, I don't think that is what
you're seeing in these photos. I think that the white area you're
witnessing is actually the wax layer peeling off of the black plastic
foundation. As the wax peels it leaves an air space behind it that appears
white in the photos.

I'm attaching a photo of this phenomenon:
> --

.
Reed M. Johnson
Assistant Professor
Department of Entomology
The Ohio State University
Ohio Agriculture Research and Development Center
118 Thorne Hall
1680 Madison Avenue
Wooster, OH 44691
(330) 202-3523 (office)
(330) 439-8295 (cell)
(330) 263-3686 (fax)

Kevin M. Pfeiffer

Feb 20, 2013, 5:03:19 PM2/20/13
to brood...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:41:57 PM UTC+1, Reed wrote:
While white pollen is definitely possible, I don't think that is what you're seeing in these photos.  I think that the white area you're witnessing is actually the wax layer peeling off of the black plastic foundation.

Aha, that's something I didn't know! Yes, makes sense, now.

Google Group's Web interface is not displaying the image for some reason (their Web interface and group management tool are really truly lousy), but was fine in the e-mail message I received.

-K